flyingmonkie

To Barb or Not To Barb

To Barb or Not To Barb  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use barbless hooks?

• Never
    • Rarely
    • Often
    • Always
  2. 2. For those that DO, do you buy them barbless, or pinch them down?

• Buy them that way
    • Pinch them down

Saw a few posts about this with interesting [to me] responses.  Curious what the numbers look like.

Sorry... Just realized the second question is required.  I guess the accuracy of that question is out the window. :)

Barbless EVERYTHING! Less harm to fish, less harm to plastics, and call me crazy but I seem to be getting better hook penetration.

you are getting better hook penetration since you are reducing the surface area of the point by a decent amount when you pinch it down. less hard hooksets.

Iv been using barbless on everything for quite a few years now

I use barbs for bass because bass are really easy to unhook.  But for trout, bluegill, carp, etc. I mash down the barbs.

• Like 1

After catching a treble in my ring finger and watching the video of the guy with a treble in his upper lip I have pinched all the barbs on my treble hooks. I fish alone from a kayak and I would hate to cut a trip short over a stupid accident. 

The only rigging I use a hook with a barb is when I'm presenting a drop shot to deep water smallmouths. I've found through many years of practice, that a barbless ds hook will get thrown most of the time. Due mainly to the position of the weight, which gives the bass a tremendous amount of leverage on a jump. Something I've never been able to control. So, when I drop shot, I use the barb. For everything else I go barbless.

I use barbs always, but I am considering pinching down the barbs on all my ice fishing rigs this year to help release them faster. Don't want any frozen gills.