Sign in to follow this  
Brett's_daddy

Rebel Crickhopper and Bumble Bug

Does anybody on here use these lures with any success? I know I've seen fish eat grasshoppers on the water and the same goes for bumble bee's and horse flies so it would seem a naturally effective bait.

• Like 1

on smallmouth and trout streams I have had some of best days

they are also great for farm ponds

I have never used them on main lakes or river systems

During late August until October in my are is grasshopper time, they are all over the place. 11 years ago I watched my buddy catch 137 river smallmouth on the green grasshopper color, it was the larger one which is only like 3/16oz or something like that. His largest fish was 19" and weighed 3lbs 3oz and he caught a bunch in the 2lb+ range and lost one that was over 4lb. I had always used a yellow one, the smaller version as a very effective brown trout lure but I never thought of bass fishing with them until that day, now I always have the green grasshopper in my box during the late summer and early fall. I never used the Bumble bug but based on how long they have made that lure I'd be willing to bet it works just as well.

Yes, For fun on light line and ultralight tackle.

They are best on 2-4lb test, light tackle and will catch fish. I have used the Cricket hopper when I want to have fun, and sometimes you will get a decent bass, just not the norm. Lots of smaller fish, bluegill, crappie, great lures for kids, the weedless Pop'R is a great one as well.

I have both. I love the grasshopper but the bumble bee isnt as good. Lands up side down alot and hooks tend to get wrapped on the line alot.  It still works, ive caught counts perch on it, just a little annoying at times. 

I use the grasshopper all the time when i bring people who dont know fishing or are just learning.  Mainly catch bluegill and perch but will work for bass too

Even though I catch a truckload of 6-8 inch dinks with them none are what I would call a "bass bait" , I use them for panfishing, include the Hellgramite and you get a trio of good bluegill cranks.

• Like 1

I take a suspend dot, use a hole punch and punch just that size and place under a bumble bug. That little extra weight adds a little casting distance and helps right the bumble bug lure.

The wings on the lure is why it goes upside down after a cast.

I also add a small suspend dot on the hoppers in bottom back of lure to add a little more casting distance.

• Like 1

Would upgrading the rear hook to a bigger size also accomplish the same thing as far as keeping the Bumble Bug right side up?