Sign in to follow this  
Hez

What fish is this?

Hello!  

Just looking for some help identifying a fish we caught this morning on the Harris Chain in central Florida.

image.jpeg

we think it's a snake head, but just wanted to be sure.  I always thought they were darker in color.  We caught 3 of them this morning - have never caught any in this lake before.  The other 2 were a little smaller, and a little bit lighter color.

Great fighting fish though 

My guess is bowfin. Anybody else got any ideas.

• Like 1

Definetly a bowfin. The way to tell is by looking at the anal fin. Snakeheads have really elongated anal fins, while bowfin only have a small fin as shown in the picture.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Penguino said:

Definetly a bowfin. The way to tell is by looking at the anal fin. Snakeheads have really elongated anal fins, while bowfin only have a small fin as shown in the picture.

10-4, thanks for clarifying that for me.  Prior to this post, I thought the snakehead and bowfin were the same fish.

thanks guys.

Apparently, bowfin (aka choupique) roe is very valuable. It's sort of imitation caviar. And if you catch a snakehead in clean water, eat it. Very delicious.

13 hours ago, hawgenvy said:

Apparently, bowfin (aka choupique) roe is very valuable. It's sort of imitation caviar. And if you catch a snakehead in clean water, eat it. Very delicious.

What type of fish does snakehead taste like? We catch a few of those every year up in Jersey and typically, they all go in the dumpster.

3 hours ago, Penguino said:

What type of fish does snakehead taste like? We catch a few of those every year up in Jersey and typically, they all go in the dumpster.

Very delicate, white flesh, not unlike sole.

IMG_0023.jpg

It is very common in Vietnam where it is grilled on a wood fire, opened up dorsally, the bones removed, seasoning applied, and served on a platter showing off the toothy grin of the head.

Don't feel obliged to show the head to your dinner guests in New Jersey!

• Like 2

On 8/7/2016 at 1:55 PM, hawgenvy said:

Very delicate, white flesh, not unlike sole.

IMG_0023.jpg

It is very common in Vietnam where it is grilled on a wood fire, opened up dorsally, the bones removed, seasoning applied, and served on a platter showing off the toothy grin of the head.

Don't feel obliged to show the head to your dinner guests in New Jersey!

I have only read good things about the taste of snakehead,but it's hard for me to consider eating them from the canals I catch them from.These canals are very polluted,and I won't be surprised if these snakeheads have high levels of methylmercury and other types of pollution in their meat.