tcbass

How do I fix this seat back?

The middle lay down seat in my 2014 Stratos is coming apart. Apparently the edge is closed with staples and it pulled out. I figure re-stapling shouldn't be too hard.  

I I was wondering what size staples are required, if there is a standard size for this, if I can use a regular large, heavy duty staple gun, and if I should use any type of goop or glue in conjunction with the staples. 

I know that one poster on here suggested taking that seat out, but I don't wish to do that. 

You are better off taking to a place that does boat upholstery.  Are you in need of the third seat, I am sure you have read on other postings I remove my middle seat in most of my boats. I only fish 2 people and hate walking on the seats.  I prefer to have a carpeted step or even making a storage box/ step.

• Like 1

Just staple gun it, and see if that fixes it.  I've done plenty of fast seat repairs without doing a ton research on the web.

• Like 1

If you can find the stainless steel staples, no problem doing it yourself.  If they are able to be seen, you will want a fine wire 3/8" to 1/2" crown staple, nothing larger than 18 gauge.   If not visible, you can use an Arrow T-50, again though, while galvanized will last a while, it's best to use stainless. 

If you take it to a shop, make sure they have stainless staples.

40 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

Thanks. I would have never thought about SS staples. That's important.

Why if not visible you an use a T-50, while I'm assuming if it's visible you have to use a different kind of stapler. What kind of stapler is needed for visible? This is a visible one.

If you have an air compressor, Harbor freight sell a cheap upholstery style staple, that I think will hold Senco staples.  I use a Senco gun for one, I used to get them free and two they are one of the few I've found that has stainless staples but a Senco gun is a little expensive.  I think Campbell Hausfeld makes a gun and a couple others.  Here's an ebay listing for the stapes and they say find a gun that uses 80 series staples.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Staples-80-Series-1-2-Crown-3-8-Leg-5-000-NEW-Upholstery-/251288700553?hash=item3a81f94689:g:a5wAAMXQCgpRz5H9

By the way, I don't try to be a no it all, I am just a person of many talents, actually a huge number of talents.  While sitting here putting my R/C heli back together, I'm beginning to think flying these things is not one of my better ones.

3 minutes ago, Way2slow said:

If you have an air compressor, Harbor freight sell a cheap upholstery style staple, that I think will hold Senco staples.  I use a Senco gun for one, I used to get them free and two they are one of the few I've found that has stainless staples but a Senco gun is a little expensive.  I think Campbell Hausfeld makes a gun and a couple others.  Here's an ebay listing for the stapes and they say find a gun that uses 50 series staples.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Staples-80-Series-1-2-Crown-3-8-Leg-5-000-NEW-Upholstery-/251288700553?hash=item3a81f94689:g:a5wAAMXQCgpRz5H9

O, I don't have an air compressor. So, I'll want to use a T50 or other manual stapler, which should be fine, I'm guessing? The staples are on the outside edge of the chairback. For some reason I can't post photos, I tried in the OP.

I want staples that are 1/2" crown, 3/8 length or longer, and no larger than 18 gauge, correct?

That's the preferred, but I don't think Arrow makes a hand stapler that will shoot something like that.  They use the T-50 which is a big wide staple and looks ugly as crap if it's where they will be seen.  I know they make electric staplers that will shoot them, I have one of those also, but I've never had a need to see if anyone makes a manual stapler that will shoot them. 

When you start pricing electric and staples, if you find a shop that has stainless, it might be cheaper to have it done.

8 hours ago, Way2slow said:

That's the preferred, but I don't think Arrow makes a hand stapler that will shoot something like that.  They use the T-50 which is a big wide staple and looks ugly as crap if it's where they will be seen.  I know they make electric staplers that will shoot them, I have one of those also, but I've never had a need to see if anyone makes a manual stapler that will shoot them. 

When you start pricing electric and staples, if you find a shop that has stainless, it might be cheaper to have it done.

Good point. It seems to get expensive quick. 

I I think I going to try try manual stapler with SS staples first.