Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

MId August Smallies

Got on the water pre dawn this morning.  A couple of days of much needed rain had reduced the water clarity down from it's usual 15 ft plus down to 3 feet at best.   This is often a good time to be on the water especially in the heat of the summer.  Today was no different.    Started off popping a tube along & through a weed edge.  I caught 3 mid size fatties right away.   About an hour after sunrise I moved north & fished the same type of cover.  It was a pretty morning but Flat & Calm.  Took a couple of smaller fish on a drop shot.  Around 9am a few puffy clouds rolled over head and a NW breeze freshed up the air.  Since the water had so much color, I decieded to move on to a shallow flat on the inside of a long mid-lake point.  With water temps in the mid 70's, burning a 1.5 squarebill in 4-8 feet seemed appropriate.  Smallies were all over it.   Got to love a wide open crank bait bite - the strikes are just so much fun.  Had one go 4.85 ~ Very respectable.  The loon call in the backround added a nice Up-North touch to the fight.

Here's some video footage of the trip.

A-Jay

• Like 6

Loon call made the fight!  That and the 1 footed net handle move you did there!  Congrats!

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice looking catches.  Thanks for sharing your video with us.

• Like 1