Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dougie511

Humminbird problems

Recommended Posts

Has anyone had any problems with there humminbird units randomly shutting off? My 999 that's at the console would do it riding down the lake so I thought it was just from rough water because it would happen in those situations but now it never wants to actually stay on and now my helix that's mounted up front is doing the same exact thing and I'm not sure if it's a issue with my boat or the electronics...idk if it matters or not but the boat is a 2003 ranger 185svs just so you guys know. And my helix literally just started doing it this weekend but before it was only the 999 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chances are it's probably not the units themselves.

Sounds like a wiring deal.   Although it's usually challenging, tracing your electronics electrical system from beginning to the end may be called for.   By checking that power & grounding connections are tight & secure, inspecting wire integrity looking for bad crimps, chaffing, or frayed areas,  as well as fuse box connections along the way, could hopefully reveal your problem.

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Chances are it's probably not the units themselves.

Sounds like a wiring deal.   Although it's usually challenging, tracing your electronics electrical system from beginning to the end may be called for.   By checking that power & grounding connections are tight & secure, inspecting wire integrity looking for bad crimps, chaffing, or frayed areas,  as well as fuse box connections along the way, could hopefully reveal your problem.

A-Jay

Ya I was thinking that was it but all my wires to my console unit are good I didn't go through the front yet because I travel for work and had to leave but everything from the console back is good tight and no frays. I just wanted to get a plan of attack for what I need to do when I get back home and was wanting to bounce ideas of people. Have you ever had an issue like this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dougie511 said:

Ya I was thinking that was it but all my wires to my console unit are good I didn't go through the front yet because I travel for work and had to leave but everything from the console back is good tight and no frays. I just wanted to get a plan of attack for what I need to do when I get back home and was wanting to bounce ideas of people. Have you ever had an issue like this? 

For the record, Yes - I've had a few electrical challenges in my day. 

What you have described is intermittent power to your electronics (going on & off).  Your Biggest Problem is Accessibility.  You need to be able to get at ALL the Wiring & All the Connections and check them - ALL of them. 

Because something is compromised, some how.  Either it's loose, or frayed, or pinched, or grounded, or not grounded or maybe even burned.

Once you have physically looked over then entire deal, you'll most liking find where & what is causing the sporadic power loss to the units and resolving it will be the easy part.  Look closely too, it may not be super obvious at first.

A-Jay

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A-Jay said:

For the record, Yes - I've had a few electrical challenges in my day. 

What you have described is intermittent power to your electronics (going on & off).  Your Biggest Problem is Accessibility.  You need to be able to get at ALL the Wiring & All the Connections and check them - ALL of them. 

Because something is compromised, some how.  Either it's loose, or frayed, or pinched, or grounded, or not grounded or maybe even burned.

Once you have physically looked over then entire deal, you'll most liking find where & what is causing the sporadic power loss to the units and resolving it will be the easy part.  Look closely too, it may not be super obvious at first.

A-Jay

 

 

Will do man! This is gonna be a bunch of fun I'm sure hahaha thanks for the help! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wayne P. said:

Did you extend the unit's power cords directly to the battery, not using the boat's wiring harness?

 

I ran a inline fuse to the battery for the console unit yes! The front is wired to a acc switch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dougie511 said:

I ran a inline fuse to the battery for the console unit yes! The front is wired to a acc switch 

Both units should be wired directly to the battery and extended with at least 14 gauge wire. Use the spade type fuse/holder. I use 12 gauge to the bow.

An alternative is to install a dedicated sonar unit fuse panel at the console supplied with 10 gauge wire. Connect each sonar unit to that panel with the correct fuse size for each. Extend the bow power cord with 14 gauge wire.

Modern sonar units are more sophisticated computers than their predecessors.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wayne P. said:

Both units should be wired directly to the battery and extended with at least 14 gauge wire. Use the spade type fuse/holder. I use 12 gauge to the bow.

An alternative is to install a dedicated sonar unit fuse panel at the console supplied with 10 gauge wire. Connect each sonar unit to that panel with the correct fuse size for each. Extend the bow power cord with 14 gauge wire.

Modern sonar units are more sophisticated computers than their predecessors.

 

 

Alright I really appreciate the help! It means a lot!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×