Jump to content
Tpym30

Best Texas rig rod for chronarch ci4

Recommended Posts

Hi I'm wondering what would be the best Texas rig rod that would fit a chronarch ci4... I would like it to be able to handle up to a 1oz bait and not be very much over $200 Canadian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

7'2" MH Zodias. It's a great combo. 

What about the Crucial instead, just because it's a little cheaper? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You asked for "the best" at the $200 mark. Did you want the best or the most economical?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The zodias is very nice for 200 and is definitely a step up all around from the crucial. I do like the looks and full cork available on the crucial though. The best rod I've used around 200 or less retail is the St Croix avid or avid x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

You asked for "the best" at the $200 mark. Did you want the best or the most economical?

I said around $200 Canadian.

5 minutes ago, timsford said:

The zodias is very nice for 200 and is definitely a step up all around from the crucial. I do like the looks and full cork available on the crucial though. The best rod I've used around 200 or less retail is the St Croix avid or avid x

Okay thanks, I have a croix myself and I like it a lot. What about the Fenwick Aetos, they're on sale for like $95 instead of $180

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, timsford said:

The zodias is very nice for 200 and is definitely a step up all around from the crucial. I do like the looks and full cork available on the crucial though. The best rod I've used around 200 or less retail is the St Croix avid or avid x

I heard they're a bit more sensitive, since I'm buying it from Canada the difference in the price of the certain rods I'm looking at would be $35, is it worth that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually going to suggest the aetos, but for some reason I didnt. I have 5 total spinning and casting now since I bought 3 at the clearance price. I own a 6'3" med spinning, 6'3" me spinning, 6'4" med casting, 6'6" ml casting, and 7'1" mh casting. My wife told me a few hours ago she got me the 6'8" mh casting. The 7'1" mh makes a great Texas rig/jig rod, and I'm sure the 6'8" will too and will likely get used more since I like to target cast cover a lot and the shorter length is much more accurate for me. I really like all the aetos and for that matter all the Fenwick I have including the hmg and smallmouth series. The aetos is very light and balanced. It has great feel and is a very crisp blank with excellent sensitivity compared with other rods in that price range and feels better than several more expensive rods I've owned. Also has titanium guides and lifetime warranty and is definitely the best deal out there right now. The 6'9" mh/fast smallmouth series is excellent for Texas rigs also and ffo-tackle.com still had some for under 80 bucks us last time I checked

Also how much if exchanged for us dollars is 200 Canadian dollars? I ask this because I have no idea, and I'd imagine a lot of other members here don't either and it would probably help to clarify that so we know what your budget is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, timsford said:

I was actually going to suggest the aetos, but for some reason I didnt. I have 5 total spinning and casting now since I bought 3 at the clearance price. I own a 6'3" med spinning, 6'3" me spinning, 6'4" med casting, 6'6" ml casting, and 7'1" mh casting. My wife told me a few hours ago she got me the 6'8" mh casting. The 7'1" mh makes a great Texas rig/jig rod, and I'm sure the 6'8" will too and will likely get used more since I like to target cast cover a lot and the shorter length is much more accurate for me. I really like all the aetos and for that matter all the Fenwick I have including the hmg and smallmouth series. The aetos is very light and balanced. It has great feel and is a very crisp blank with excellent sensitivity compared with other rods in that price range and feels better than several more expensive rods I've owned. Also has titanium guides and lifetime warranty and is definitely the best deal out there right now. The 6'9" mh/fast smallmouth series is excellent for Texas rigs also and ffo-tackle.com still had some for under 80 bucks us last time I checked

Also how much if exchanged for us dollars is 200 Canadian dollars? I ask this because I have no idea, and I'd imagine a lot of other members here don't either and it would probably help to clarify that so we know what your budget is

Right about $260

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are willing to shell out 260 I'd definitely check out the en vee black and Kistler helium 3 or klx. The en vee is built on a super sensitive 40 ton toray blank and is very light and balanced. The helium 3 is my absolute favorite bottom contact rod and is built on Gary loomis' new brand of blanks, North Fork composites. Both are very simplistic clean builds that are lightweight and extremely nice and sensitive for the price. My helium 3 is extremely close to my buddies glx with recoils as far as sensitivity. Another rod to consider would be the ltb by st croix. Extremely well put together and has a great warranty. Everyone raves about the champion at that price point, but I'd take any of these 3 and even the aetos over the champion 734 I've fished. The dobyns is balanced and clean, but heavier in weight and not quite up to the level of the others as far as sensitivity is concerned imho. Honestly though unless you suffer from numbness of the hands, or just want to spend 260, I think the aetos would be a great rod and you could even buy 2 and pick up a used citica d or g to go on the second one. That is if the price of the d and e series doesn't keep going up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exchange rate is down to 22% right now, so your $200 CAD would get you about $160 USD worth. 

If it were me, I'd do anything possible to get $30 and get myself a Zodias or an Avid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, timsford said:

If you are willing to shell out 260 I'd definitely check out the en vee black and Kistler helium 3 or klx. The en vee is built on a super sensitive 40 ton toray blank and is very light and balanced. The helium 3 is my absolute favorite bottom contact rod and is built on Gary loomis' new brand of blanks, North Fork composites. Both are very simplistic clean builds that are lightweight and extremely nice and sensitive for the price. My helium 3 is extremely close to my buddies glx with recoils as far as sensitivity. Another rod to consider would be the ltb by st croix. Extremely well put together and has a great warranty. Everyone raves about the champion at that price point, but I'd take any of these 3 and even the aetos over the champion 734 I've fished. The dobyns is balanced and clean, but heavier in weight and not quite up to the level of the others as far as sensitivity is concerned imho. Honestly though unless you suffer from numbness of the hands, or just want to spend 260, I think the aetos would be a great rod and you could even buy 2 and pick up a used citica d or g to go on the second one. That is if the price of the d and e series doesn't keep going up

I don't really wanna spend $260, max I'd say is $220, I'm debating between the aetos and crucial I think.the aetos is super cheap right now, but I think the chronarch won't look good on the aetos, what do you think?

1 minute ago, fishballer06 said:

Exchange rate is down to 22% right now, so your $200 CAD would get you about $160 USD worth. 

If it were me, I'd do anything possible to get $30 and get myself a Zodias or an Avid. 

Okay, what do you think about the aetos, it being only $120 Canadian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that how the combo looks is a big factor to some, but I've never had a fish refuse to bite because my rod and reel were different colors or because I used a daiwa reel on a shimano rod. Not trying to sound judgemental or anything, I just call it like I see it. Between the aetos and crucial, there is no comparison in my opinion unless you just have to have full cork. The aetos is lighter(feels like quite a bit but I haven't put them on a scale), more sensitive(subjective I know but I used my best friend new crucial and he used my aetos and we both felt the same. The aetos was way more sensitive), has better, lighter weight, and stronger guides(titanium on aetos, stainless on crucial) better warranty(lifetime on aetos, 1 year on crucial), is cheaper by around 50 bucks with the clearance price, and looks better to me also, although that is completely subjective. I love the blue blank and the colors of the thread wraps. If the looks bother you that much, use the money saved by buying the aetos on a few blue trim parts for the reel from hedgehog and then it will look great as well as fish great. I apologize for all the long posts, but I like to give as much detail as I can for the reasons I pick the equipment I do. Instead of just saying buy this one cause its better, I try to point out why I think it is better. I also want to point out that I have no business relationship/sponsorship with fenwick. I just really like all of their rods I've fished and putting their whole lineup against other companies, I believe they have one of the best product line ups out there. I'm ordering a world class tomorrow for light Texas rigs, so my helium 3 will definitely be getting some competition.  I've fished with shimano, daiwa, quantum, abu, loomis, St croix, powell, dobyns, ***, kistler, falcon, duckett, fenwick, berkley, and probably several other brands I can't think of, and the fenwick hmg, elite techs,and aetos are as nice or nicer than any I've tried at competing price points. I had all this typed before the op threw the zodias in the mix. I'd still pick the aetos as it is half the price and still has the same advantages over the zodias except that the zodias is comparable in weight and sensitivity. If I'm deciding between a 200 rod with 1 year warranty, foam grips and stainless guides or a rod going for under 100 with lifetime warranty, comfortable and grippy cork composite handles, and titanium guides, then the decision is already made for me just by comparing features. I'd go with the aetos if it was hot pink and the reel you had was lime green, but that's just me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own 3 HMG's and 1 Aetos. All four have had guide durability issues. 

I own 2 of the new style Crucials and they're decent rods, but certainly no where near the best in their price range. 

I own the new Zodias and it's a great rod. One of the best in the $200 price area. 

 

If you want the most bang for your buck in the $130-200 range, I recommend the following rods:

Abu Ike Series
Abu Veracity
SC Avid
Shimano Zodias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, timsford said:

I know that how the combo looks is a big factor to some, but I've never had a fish refuse to bite because my rod and reel were different colors or because I used a daiwa reel on a shimano rod. Not trying to sound judgemental or anything, I just call it like I see it. Between the aetos and crucial, there is no comparison in my opinion unless you just have to have full cork. The aetos is lighter(feels like quite a bit but I haven't put them on a scale), more sensitive(subjective I know but I used my best friend new crucial and he used my aetos and we both felt the same. The aetos was way more sensitive), has better, lighter weight, and stronger guides(titanium on aetos, stainless on crucial) better warranty(lifetime on aetos, 1 year on crucial), is cheaper by around 50 bucks with the clearance price, and looks better to me also, although that is completely subjective. I love the blue blank and the colors of the thread wraps. If the looks bother you that much, use the money saved by buying the aetos on a few blue trim parts for the reel from hedgehog and then it will look great as well as fish great. I apologize for all the long posts, but I like to give as much detail as I can for the reasons I pick the equipment I do. Instead of just saying buy this one cause its better, I try to point out why I think it is better. I also want to point out that I have no business relationship/sponsorship with fenwick. I just really like all of their rods I've fished and putting their whole lineup against other companies, I believe they have one of the best product line ups out there. I'm ordering a world class tomorrow for light Texas rigs, so my helium 3 will definitely be getting some competition.  I've fished with shimano, daiwa, quantum, abu, loomis, St croix, powell, dobyns, ***, kistler, falcon, duckett, fenwick, berkley, and probably several other brands I can't think of, and the fenwick hmg, elite techs,and aetos are as nice or nicer than any I've tried at competing price points. I had all this typed before the op threw the zodias in the mix. I'd still pick the aetos as it is half the price and still has the same advantages over the zodias except that the zodias is comparable in weight and sensitivity. If I'm deciding between a 200 rod with 1 year warranty, foam grips and stainless guides or a rod going for under 100 with lifetime warranty, comfortable and grippy cork composite handles, and titanium guides, then the decision is already made for me just by comparing features. I'd go with the aetos if it was hot pink and the reel you had was lime green, but that's just me. 

I'm not huge on looks but I obviously just want it to look nice, as I think the chronarch and crucial look really nice. I think I might get the aetos then, it still looks pretty decent I think. 

8 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

I own 3 HMG's and 1 Aetos. All four have had guide durability issues. 

I own 2 of the new style Crucials and they're decent rods, but certainly no where near the best in their price range. 

I own the new Zodias and it's a great rod. One of the best in the $200 price area. 

 

If you want the most bang for your buck in the $130-200 range, I recommend the following rods:

Abu Ike Series
Abu Veracity
SC Avid
Shimano Zodias

What problems did you have with the guides? I wanna get the aetos due to the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also like to know what guide problems you had so I can keep a look out for it on mine. Not doubting you at all but could you please post pics if you have any or send them to my email? I've heard other people say they had issues, but I've never heard that explained or seen any pics. Also if it was grooving what type of line were you using? Not trying to sound like a broken record, but the aetos still has lifetime warranty and if you did have a problem you can get a new rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timsford said:

I would also like to know what guide problems you had so I can keep a look out for it on mine. Not doubting you at all but could you please post pics if you have any or send them to my email? I've heard other people say they had issues, but I've never heard that explained or seen any pics. Also if it was grooving what type of line were you using? Not trying to sound like a broken record, but the aetos still has lifetime warranty and if you did have a problem you can get a new rod

Yeah I'm probably gonna get the aetos, I was wondering if the guide problem has to do with him using braid, like if it wears through or something. If so I probably won't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The aetos has titanium guides with titanium inserts which are harder on the scale than zirconium but not as hard as sic or torzite. Still there are tons of rods out there with zirconium guides that are used with braid, and a lot of guys use zirconium on customs designed to be used with braid. Since titanium is harder it should be more difficult to groove or damage with braid than zirconium. I've heard of people having grooving issues, but I've yet to see a picture or proof of such. (This is not a stab at fishballer06 or any others, just stating what I've personally seen/experienced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, timsford said:

The aetos has titanium guides with titanium inserts which are harder on the scale than zirconium but not as hard as sic or torzite. Still there are tons of rods out there with zirconium guides that are used with braid, and a lot of guys use zirconium on customs designed to be used with braid. Since titanium is harder it should be more difficult to groove or damage with braid than zirconium. I've heard of people having grooving issues, but I've yet to see a picture or proof of such. (This is not a stab at fishballer06 or any others, just stating what I've personally seen/experienced. 

Yeah, no idea then. On the Fenwick website the show different handles on the rods, how do you select which one you want? Or does the handle have to do with the length of the rod? I can't send a screenshot because the file is too big but it is a picture of all the different handles labeled a-f.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tpym30 said:

Yeah, no idea then. On the Fenwick website the show different handles on the rods, how do you select which one you want? Or does the handle have to do with the length of the rod? I can't send a screenshot because the file is too big but it is a picture of all the different handles labeled a-f.

Yeah never mind lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The handles are based on the length and model of the rod. The longer and heavier in power, the longer the handle. It should have a place where it shows which handle is on each rod. If not look on tackle warehouse, because I know for sure they do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get the best rod you can afford.  Every manufacturer has different specs for rod action and power.  Go to a store and handle the aetos and crucial side by side, bring your own reel in if you have to, mount the reel to the rod and see which one has better balance and which one you like better.  The price difference isn't that much and you could probably save up that difference if you want the higher priced rod.  Everyone's different.  If you are going to spend the money, I'd see if you can find one in a store near you and check it out.

I have the chronarch ci4+ and it is an excellent reel, fairly light at 6.5oz and will work well with whichever rod you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, timsford said:

The handles are based on the length and model of the rod. The longer and heavier in power, the longer the handle. It should have a place where it shows which handle is on each rod. If not look on tackle warehouse, because I know for sure they do

Yeah I figured that out, thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it 

3 minutes ago, stk said:

I would get the best rod you can afford.  Every manufacturer has different specs for rod action and power.  Go to a store and handle the aetos and crucial side by side, bring your own reel in if you have to, mount the reel to the rod and see which one has better balance and which one you like better.  The price difference isn't that much and you could probably save up that difference if you want the higher priced rod.  Everyone's different.  If you are going to spend the money, I'd see if you can find one in a store near you and check it out.

I have the chronarch ci4+ and it is an excellent reel, fairly light at 6.5oz and will work well with whichever rod you choose.

Where I live you can't really find either rod very close, but since the aetos is on sale im gonna get that, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timsford said:

The handles are based on the length and model of the rod. The longer and heavier in power, the longer the handle. It should have a place where it shows which handle is on each rod. If not look on tackle warehouse, because I know for sure they do

Just ordered my aetos 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×