I just got a baitcaster reel and I put mono line on it and it started to dig in.... The line is a 30ib test my rod doesn't reccomend it but my reel goes all the way up to 50ib; I found myself casting it really short also not to mention the LINE KEPT DIGGING IN!!!! 

20 minutes ago, Fishing_God said:

I just got a baitcaster reel and I put mono line on it and it started to dig in.... The line is a 30ib test my rod doesn't reccomend it but my reel goes all the way up to 50ib; I found myself casting it really short also not to mention the LINE KEPT DIGGING IN!!!! 

Rather unusual to use #30 mono for bass. I'm supposing it's for punching extreme cover with big weights? In that case you may find #65 braid is thinner and may work much better for you. Or at least go down to #25 mono or FC.  (And the right rod:  punching typically requires an X-heavy rod that's 7.5 -- 8 ft long.

If it's not for punching mats, go lighter -- mono or braid.

Another thing you can try is re-spooling very tightly so there's no room to dig.  Line conditioners are purported to help as well.

Okay thanks and no it is not for punching at all in fact the rod is a Medium Heavy 7ft it's my all around,I'll probably go to the store tommorow to pick up 25ib mono.... And I'll definitely think about respooling thanks!!! 

Why are you using such heavy line? Line of that thickness will be very hard to manage. If you are just bass fishing and this is your all around rod, then may I suggest 15 lb test. I have pulled my boat across the water on a snag with 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GetJigginWithIt said:

Why are you using such heavy line? Line of that thickness will be very hard to manage. If you are just bass fishing and this is your all around rod, then may I suggest 15 lb test. I have pulled my boat across the water on a snag with 15.

Spot on.  Even 25# is excessive for how you seem to be fishing.  I use 12# mono on the majority of my MH rods.  Heck, I've only got 17# on two HF rods.  Your casting will be so much easier with the lighter weight line.  Lot less backlashing.  Lot less memory.

3 hours ago, GetJigginWithIt said:

This ^^^

Heck I use 12# Big Game mono on many of my reels. Unless your just going deep into some heavy vegetation or some crazy stuff why would you need so heavy of a line? People catch bass on as low as 6# some on 4#. Seriously think about this, who is dragging in 10# fish on average fishing days. The average catch is less than 3# using 12 to 15lb will easily handle 90% of the average fishing and is much more manageable on the reel.