CrustyMono

14 Foot Grunman Reviews

Any one have this boat. And will it be good enough to convert to a bass boat? Thanks! :)

Grumman made very nice 14 and 16 foot riveted v hull boats. These are very light hulls and are wide in the rear however they have a sharp vee in the front so they are bad choices to add front decks and stand up on.

See my posting on your other topic.  It sounds like what you need to do is determine how much monwy you can pend and let me try and find you a bass boat in your budget.  Also these boats can leak at the rivets from age. My friend Ed built one of these into a really nice fishing boat but you have to sit down low inside the hull or it gets very tipsy. 

19 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

Grumman made very nice 14 and 16 foot riveted v hull boats. These are very light hulls and are wide in the rear however they have a sharp vee in the front so they are bad choices to add front decks and stand up on.

See my posting on your other topic.  It sounds like what you need to do is determine how much monwy you can pend and let me try and find you a bass boat in your budget.  Also these boats can leak at the rivets from age. My friend Ed built one of these into a really nice fishing boat but you have to sit down low inside the hull or it gets very tipsy. 

My budget for a boat is around 500, I can wait and spend more, i plan to use it next march. I like the DIY concept, it is more customized and fun. but I'm open to suggestions, thanks

It is really simple, if you want a boat that can have a deck big enough to safely stand up and fish on then the boat needs to be at least 16 foot and have a double wide bottom. That means it needs to be at least 48 at the bottom.  It comes down to that. Most of the jon boats you can find that already have a factory front deck are either 1648 or 1656 or even larger like the 1756 and larger . They also most often have a mod v front end.  I am not saying a 1448 can not fish well, but it is not big and stable enough to stand up on top of a raised deck

I personally have owned a 12 foot jon, a 15 foot  jon boat that was 48 inches wide at the bottom, another 15 foot 48 inch mod vee boat with stick steering, and two 17.5 foot 60 inch wide mod v aluminum bass boats.  Until I got the 17.5 footers none of them were stable enough to have a raised front deck.