Sign in to follow this  
Kyhokie

Rods and Lure rating

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there with more rod knowledge than I, could explain to me how rods of matching power (medium) and action (fast) could have such different lure ratings? Some rods I'm looking at are rated for 1/8 - 5/8 while some are quarter oz to three quarter oz. I understand that rod power and action aren't standardized between manufacturers, but I don't understand what makes a rod better suited for lighter lures than other similar rods. Thanks for any insight!

Difference in manufacturer, nothing else. They all have their own take on what a medium powered rod should feel like, and thats where the difference in lure rating comes from. Honestly, the difference 1/8-5/8 and 1/4-3/4 is nothing. Iv seen some with max lure rating as low at 3/8oz, while others are 3/4oz, all being "medium powered"

Agree with bigturtle, but will add that I think that more moderate actions do better in handling lighter lures because they load over a longer length which I believe makes casting easier and imparts more velocity to the lure.  No good data, just an opinion.