Sign in to follow this  
Jbower

Gamakatsu finese wide gap hooks

Been using these hooks for a while for wacky rigs. Have had great success not loosing fish but I would say starting about 3 weeks ago just about every fish I catch has the hook in the bottom "jaw" I guess you'd day. Before it was always in the top lip. Not sure if is something I am doing wrong or what. I'm using 10lb nanofil with a 4-5 foot 8lb flouro leader. Any ideas or don't worry about it?

If you're still hooking them and they aren't coming off then I'd say don't worry about it. I use them all the time for wacky rigging senkos and trick worms. I've never thought much about where the hook placement is. 

• Like 2

I've never thought about it much either but I hooked a 4lber last night and hook ended up a little close to gills. She grabbed it soon as it hit the water and I wasn't ready for it was probably lay the main reason. 

you should try trick worms wacky rigged on these hooks. I slide a little 1 inch finish nail in the nose of the worm. I have yet to find anything better

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jbower said:

I've never thought about it much either but I hooked a 4lber last night and hook ended up a little close to gills. She grabbed it soon as it hit the water and I wasn't ready for it was probably lay the main reason. 

you should try trick worms wacky rigged on these hooks. I slide a little 1 inch finish nail in the nose of the worm. I have yet to find anything better

I use them for trick works also. I use lead nail weights and trim them to length depending on the rof I'm going for. 

I fish wacky A LOT, and use this this hook almost exclusively. I have had a few poorly hooked fish. It's part of fishing. My hook-up ratio with his hook is d**n near 100%. Think about what happens when a fish grabs your bait. He opens his mouth and sucks it in, then opens his mouth several more times to move the bait and position it in its mouth to be swallowed. Your bait gets tumbled around quite a bit. It's no surprise the hook isn't always in the upper lip or corner of the mouth every time.

Or, consider this; This hook sinks head down, and hook point down. If the fish grabs the worm broadside when it is falling, and you tighten the line, chances are the hook will catch the bottom lip.