Smithn64

Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth w/ Revo STX Low Profile Combo

I'm looking to get a bait casting setup. Would the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod with the Abu Garcia Revo STX Low Profile reel work well together? I only have a spinning setup right now (cheap light/medium rod and reel from fleet farm) so it kind of needs to fill the roles that my current one can't. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Smithn64 said:

Would the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod with the Abu Garcia Revo STX Low Profile reel work well together?

I'm sure someone who actually has this combo in use will chime in, but the short answer is they can work fine together, and really the STX can work with a wide range of rod styles and lengths.

I have an STX and it was one of the reels I learned on last year, coming from spinning.  I found it easier to cast than the lower-priced Abu reels.

Based on what you have typed, I assume you are looking to cast heavier baits and are new to baitcasting.  

My suggestion is to go to the "Rod Selection - the Basics" thread by Road Warrior and consider his recommendations regarding basic lengths, powers, etc. for bass fishing, and note their applications.

With one year under my belt, I can say that it is really worth thinking about the rod power and even more so, action, considering whether you will be using crankbaits with treble hooks vs. T-rigged plastics with single hooks (to pick two representative lure types suited to different rod actions).  I like to use cranks a lot, and would've went with a moderate or moderate-fast action rod for my first baitcast rod, not a "fast."  That said, I've come to use my fast rods a lot more, and would be lost without them, now that I understand better how to use plastics effectively.

I assume you are looking at the ffo website, which has deals on both right now.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by snake95
Corrected thread reference.
  • Like 1

Wow, snake95 - you basically just nailed this response. Every assumption you made is true lol. I am new to baitcasting (and really plastics in general), and I was looking at the sale on ffo! I will definitely look at "Rod Selection - The Basics" thread so thanks for that.

To be honest all of this information is a little overwhelming and I clearly have a lot to learn still so I might hold off on buying a setup until I know more. I was hoping to snag it up quickly and catch a little fall bass fishing before the season is over, but I'm not sure I want to drop that money on a whim.

Thanks for the great response and warm welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

I assume you are looking at the 6'10" MH-MF and 6'9" MHF at FFO.  I have both rods and an STX Gen1, but not as a combo.  The STX will work fine on either rod.  I've thrown 3/4 oz. spoon with it for a few hours on a 7' MHF and a 10" unweighted ribbontail worm on the same rod (not a Smallmouth rod).  Works equally well with either.

BTW, Walmart has the SHS (8.0:1) for $145.85 right now.  Pretty darn good deal.  Amazon has a LH model for .75 less, but think they charge shipping unless you have Prime.

The Smallmouth rods are great rods at full price.

EDIT:  OP: I see you posted while I was on the floor working.

Awesome, thanks new2BC4bass. I don't have the funds to buy every setup I could need so I really want this to fill as many "holes" in my arsenal as possible. I read many good things about the Smallmouth rods so I'm still thinking about picking one up and waiting/looking at other options for the reel. I've been finding mixed responses on the Revo SX (not the exact reel I'm looking at) - a lot of people say there are better reels at that price point.

I've always just had cheap gear for fishing which was fine, but I'm really interested in starting to add some quality gear to my collection (especially a baitcaster!). Thanks for the help; when you're starting at ground zero, every tip is valuable! :) 

I won't comment as to what the best model rod is for you.  I will say, however, that if you buy a Fenwick ET Smallmouth rod, you will not be disappointed.  I have one spinning and one BC and they are phenomenal. As sensitive as my rods costing 2 to 5 times what I paid for the ET's (from FFO.) 

Choporoz, I know this is very much opinion-based stuff and what I want it to do, but which would you go with between the two 6' 9" MH-F or 6' 10" MH-MF? If it helps, I only fish from shore or kayak. Also, I only own an ultralite spinning rod and LM-F spinning. Thanks for the input.

Not sure - I have 6'10" Medium / Fast.  Never handled their MH power.  I'll say that I do like Fenwick's F tip - but I use it exclusively for single hook applications.

BTW, I also fish from a kayak and the handle on mine is perfect.  I don't know if they all have same handle length, but I love it.  Longer handled rods in the yak mean problems for me.

I can't tell you which rod would be best.  I've always felt a Fast action rod was a little more versatile.  There are some on here that feel a Med. Fast makes for a very versatile rod.  I will say I love my 6'10" MH-MF.  I haven't used the 6'9" MHF much as I prefer a bit longer rod in that power.  However, I couldn't pass it up at the price I got it for.  I am coming to really like the Regular action on the original Tatula rods...that can be had for about $110.  Extremely nice rods.

As far as reel choices, if you have done much reading here you know the Tatula is considered one of the very best choices at the $95-$100 price point.  Get a newer CT model if you feel a bit smaller frame feels better to you.  The PQ is also suggested as a great option at $100 and often goes on sale for around $80.  Never handled one, tho, so I've got no opinion of my own on the PQ.  I will say it is too bad manventureoutpost is sold out of the Pinnacle Primmus reels.  Bought 2 at the $104.10 price.  I love these reels and feel they are a great reel at full $225 price.

Speaking of manventureoutpost, you might want to check their reel price before buying.  The Daiwa Exceler is currently $77.81 and is another reel that has gotten good reviews from some guys on this forum.  I've got quite a few Daiwa reels, but not that model so can't offer a personal opinion on it.

Lews is also highly recommended as is the Shimano Citica.  If you don't mind used, I'd keep an eye on the Flea Market here and the For Sale forums on other forums.  Many of my reels were purchased used....and often looked like new.

EDIT:  There is a used RH Shimano Citica 200I in mint condition with a 6.3:1 ratio on another site for $90.  Or a brand new one for $105 with no box.  However, personally I'd rather have the $95 original Fuego that is on the same site.  I've got 3 of them.  Originally sold for $230, I think.  Seems to be highly under-rated by many.

Wow loads of information! A lot of the things you've mentioned I have read about so it's nice to verify that I'm on the right track. I have no problem buying used so I will definitely check out the Flea Market here and shop around. Thanks for the great tips - so many choices! O.o

10 hours ago, Smithn64 said:

Wow loads of information! A lot of the things you've mentioned I have read about so it's nice to verify that I'm on the right track. I have no problem buying used so I will definitely check out the Flea Market here and shop around. Thanks for the great tips - so many choices! O.o

I fished spinning gear for literally decades before starting baitcasting last year, and then learning how to fish plastics through lots of trial and error this year.  Here's my 2c as someone who went through this recently:

If you want a baitcaster, get one.  Get the STX you were looking at, get any one of the name brand reels (pick a big brand, any brand...) you will find guys on here who prefer different brands (Abu, Daiwa, Shimano, Lews, Pflueger, BPS, the list goes on), many will say get a used $200+ reel.... many approaches to buying a first reel have their advocates on this forum.  Where you will find the most consensus is get something in the $100-150 range to start.  Personally, I went cheap and under that, and that reel has worked just fine for me so far.  Except that I became addicted to bass fishing and to fish different baits more effectively I needed different line and different rod actions at hand, so that lead to more reel buying, and soon "needed" an SX, and an STX, and the list goes on...  Above all else, if you have the money and want one, get one.  I like new personally, but I'm probably in the minority.

The rod is where you are more justified in spending some more research and thinking, in a way.  Because the rod and the line are the things you'll find you want to change to suit your lures and fishing methods soon after getting into it.  That's why I pointed you to RW's thread first.  The short answer is right there: MH/F and M or MH/M (I think?).  The lengths could be anything from about 6'-6" to 7-6" (give or take).  If it is plastics you want to learn and fish, get the MH/F (honestly, I started with a M/F and have no regrets).  The main thing I looked to add quickly after learning wasn't a different reel, or length, or even power, but different rod actions.  Having a moderate rod truly makes a difference for "moving" baits and keeping fish on through the fight.  And needing at least two actions leads to more rod buying..  For now think about if you are going to use most - single hooks and plastics (F) or moving baits (cranks, lipless, etc.) (M), and then go for it.  I'd say most would pick a F rod first, and a M soon after.  

In short, don't overthink it and get too caught up in the details for that first baitcaster, if you are in the ranges on RW's thread, you are in the ballpark and won't truly regret anything.  You might someday wish your 6'-6" M rod was a 7'-2" MH or your 7' MH was a 6'-8" M, or something like that, but you won't actually regret it.  You'll just start saving for a new rod.

8 hours ago, snake95 said:

Above all else, if you have the money and want one, get one.  I like new personally, but I'm probably in the minority.

The rod is where you are more justified in spending some more research and thinking, in a way.

I doubt you are in the minority.  New is nice!  However, I'm sure a lot are like me.  They can't afford a $250 reel much less a $450 reel.  (Although I did force myself to pay $300 for a $500 reel...new...in the pursuit of a true finesse reel.  :) )  I happen to like some reels that are no longer made.  My last Fuego, both Sols and three TD-Z 105H are some examples.  Also it is hard to pass up a 40-50% savings on a like new reel.  :D

Reels are my first love, but I have to agree the rod is more important...as long as you have a decent reel to go with it.  Both get to be addictive.   Always looking for one that "might" be just a little bit better.  The Bait Monkey is a good friend of mine.  :rolleyes: