Jump to content
BassinCali

Matching up Braided line to leader

Recommended Posts

Hi guys I have a quick question if I have 30  lb braided line do i match it up with anything lower than 8 lb test line? could I attach it to lines that are higher diameter than 30 lb braid?

 

 

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BassinCali said:

Hi guys I have a quick question if I have 30  lb braided line do i match it up with anything lower than 8 lb test line? could I attach it to lines that are higher diameter than 30 lb braid?

 

 

Thanks again

you can put any size line for a leader you can get a good knot with . what baits are you throwing ? what type of fishing are you doing ? you'll get some good recommendations ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

you can put any size line for a leader you can get a good knot with . what baits are you throwing ? what type of fishing are you doing ? you'll get some good recommendations ...

I am throwing senkos and grubs. Mostly finesse except drop shotting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BassinCali said:

I am throwing senkos and grubs. Mostly finesse except drop shotting

is this a spinning set up ?? if so you might want to step down in braid size , i use 10 lb. Sunline SX1 with a long leader of Sunline 6 lb. Sniper , i use that set up for weightless stickbaits , drop shotting , & shakey heads . if you don't want to go as light as my line set up , try some 15 lb. braid to 8 lb. flouro

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

is this a spinning set up ?? if so you might want to step down in braid size , i use 10 lb. Sunline SX1 with a long leader of Sunline 6 lb. Sniper , i use that set up for weightless stickbaits , drop shotting , & shakey heads . if you don't want to go as light as my line set up , try some 15 lb. braid to 8 lb. flouro

yeah its a spinning setup and i think i might have 12 pound braided i am going to check it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BassinCali said:

yeah its a spinning setup and i think i might have 12 pound braided i am going to check it.

 

use the 12 lb. braid , you'll like it a lot better !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BassinCali said:

yeah its a spinning setup and i think i might have 12 pound braided i am going to check it.

 

I just checked out and I am using 15 pound braided line and my leader is six pound  flouro.

And another thing brother I hope your fishing saint vincent, I hear thats the hot ticket right now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but I would use a line like P Line CXX in moss green in say 6 pound test. It is very abrasion resistant and breaks a whole lot higher than 6 pounds. I use that cxx in both 6 and 10 pound test for almost all of my fishing. If I am fishing really shallow clear water than I  use some Abrazx fluoro in 6 pound test, There are lots of good knots available to tie them together with, but the two I like best is the Double uni knot and the FG knot, I have tried a ton of different line for my spinning reels but my go to, and only one I use anymore, on my and my wife's reels is Berkley Original or Fused FireLine in 14 pound test. I run a 4 foot leader on everyone of them.  For the last 5 years all I used to tie  my leaders was the double uni knot and I have very good luck with it. Recently i had seen a video on the FG knot and tried it. It looks like a nice option but not as fast for me to retie with. It is however smaller and I think just as strong or stronger.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Albright is a great knot for joining lines of dissimilar diameter in addition to being a strong and slim knot. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BassinCali said:

So i could add to my 15lb braided line and do a knot to say 4lb flouro

Yes. I use 10 and 15# braid for spinning, and tie anywhere
from a 4-15# leader with zero issues.

Most common for me (now) is uni-to-uni, my other fav is the
Albright (mod'd), aka Alberto.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BassinCali said:

So i could add to my 15lb braided line and do a knot to say 4lb flouro

6 lb. Sunline Sniper is the ticket ...

i've posted this in a few other topics of flouro leaders , try a long leader , between 8- 15 ft. , yes 8 - 15 feet of flourocarbon line attached to your braid , most people use a 2 ft. leader because they use it for line visibilty (lack of) and for abraision resistence , i use the long leader because of the sinking charecteristics , making a straighter path to your bait , essentially taking the bow out of your line like mono, straight braid or co-poly puts into the line as the bait drops through the water . plus , the longer line and less bowing of your line , your bait will fall more naturally and with more action . and one more thing , taking out the bow of your line , you'll up the sensitivity and slack line sensitivity tremendulously !

for all that have not tried it , give it a go and i guarantee you'll love the results ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to use a long leader for a while but I was having an issue where the line would snag on the knot as it was coming off the reel, fouling the cast.  Admittedly I was doing this with my UL spinning rod (for reasons you mentioned, I wanted to get my tiny spinners to sink faster and stay down on the retrieve) and I was joining 6lb braid to 6lb floro.  I was using an Alberto knot that I bushed crazy glue onto and trimmed the floro tag almost flush. 

About every third cast or so the line would snag and the lure would whip to a stop and drop straight down.  I fussed around with it for a few trips before I gave it up.  I guess maybe a heavier lure would help the line flow past the knot, but I have not given it another try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a spinning reel, I don't like going heavier than 20lb braid.  10-20lb braid casts a mile on spinning gear.  I run 30lb braid on most of my casting gear and will tie to as light as 8lb leaders regularly using Uni to Uni. Unless the diameters are WAY off, the Uni to Uni works well.  For diameters that are too far off for the Uni to Uni, I like blood knots, but can't tie them nearly as fast, though the toothpick trick does help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bunnielab said:

I tried to use a long leader for a while but I was having an issue where the line would snag on the knot as it was coming off the reel, fouling the cast.  Admittedly I was doing this with my UL spinning rod (for reasons you mentioned, I wanted to get my tiny spinners to sink faster and stay down on the retrieve) and I was joining 6lb braid to 6lb floro.  I was using an Alberto knot that I bushed crazy glue onto and trimmed the floro tag almost flush. 

About every third cast or so the line would snag and the lure would whip to a stop and drop straight down.  I fussed around with it for a few trips before I gave it up.  I guess maybe a heavier lure would help the line flow past the knot, but I have not given it another try. 

i have no problems with the 10 lb. Sunline SX and Sunline Sniper in 6 lb. , and that's on my spinning rod that has Fuji 3.5mm micro guides on it , maybe try an Albright Knot , but i just tie a uni-to-uni .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For spinning setup why go with braid that is far stronger than the 6lb mono leader? 

Stepping down to 6lbs braid will get you more distance and still offer the same terminal knot strength since the 6lbs leader is the weak link. BTW, 4 lbs fireline crystal breaks around 10.8 lb with FG knot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aquaholik said:

For spinning setup why go with braid that is far stronger than the 6lb mono leader? 

Stepping down to 6lbs braid will get you more distance and still offer the same terminal knot strength since the 6lbs leader is the weak link. BTW, 4 lbs fireline crystal breaks around 10.8 lb with FG knot. 

using a braid for the mainline eliminates line twist problems and line memory issues (line coils) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

i have no problems with the 10 lb. Sunline SX and Sunline Sniper in 6 lb. , and that's on my spinning rod that has Fuji 3.5mm micro guides on it , maybe try an Albright Knot , but i just tie a uni-to-uni .

What weight lures were you using?  I was trying to throw inline spinners between 1/24-1/16oz and felt that the line wasn't coming off the spool with much force. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bunnielab said:

What weight lures were you using?  I was trying to throw inline spinners between 1/24-1/16oz and felt that the line wasn't coming off the spool with much force. 

definitely not that light !! lowest i regularly throw is a 6'' straight tail Roboworm 

  throwing baits that light  , if i were you ,i would spool up with 4 lb. CXX or 4 lb. Gamma Polyflex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I suspect lighter line would be better, but this is my perch rod and a lot of the year there is the chance of striped bass as bycatch, so I don't want to go too light in line.  Got a 16" one last month on my 5' UL, it was a hell of a fight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first suggestion is to shorten your leader to the point that it won't go into/past the first guide on your reel, and especially onto the spool itself. That will solve most all of your snagging issues.

The other comment is that aquaholik is on the right track. For lures that light, dropping down to 6lb braid/fused superline with a 6# leader will help a lot with casting distance. Unless you are fishing around heavy cover where you would have to stop a striper from running, that combination will easily handle the random by-catch. I've landed numerous larger fish, some up to nearly 40# with that light of a setup. A 16" striper wouldn't be any issue at all if played properly and/or your setup is adjusted correctly.

-T9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using 6lb 832 currently with a 6lb leader, shortening the leader to 4' solved my issues. I might move to a shorter, thicker leader due to active pickerel in the same waters, lost a very nice one (and a brand new spinner) right at boatside as well last month. 

Knot stregnth-wise, what do you guys think the thickest diameter leader I could get away with, joining to 6lb 832?  Lure action I can work out through trial and error, but I would like to start as thick as possible and work thinner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6lb 832 FG knot to up to 40lbs leader if you want. That'll give you 10lbs of strength at the braid to leader connection. Set drag to 3 lbs and you should be able to land most fish that swims in fresh water.  Use the leader size to match the abrasion resistance that you need. Or step up to 10 lbs braid and you can set the drag at 6lbs and horse in most fish. We do that all the time prying 25-35 lbs black drum from bridge pilings.

 

IMG_0964_zps7xxit2fw.jpgIMG_0982_zpsqbz0uoau.jpg

 

And that's with crappy 10 lbs nanofil to 25 lbs leader. Power pro or spiderwire 10 lbs would be about 5 lbs stronger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×