JG233

What's this yak worth?

I'm shopping around for a used fishing kayak. Old Town Predator 13 w/Lowrance Elite-4 HDI w/ some add ons: * Lowrance Elite-4 Hdi, Tranducer, bag and battery * Werner Tybee: Hooked paddle. * Life vest from bass pro shop. * 4 adjustable rod holders * Rope cleat * Adjustable wheels.

I'm thinking like $1,100 for this one? I'm seeing new ones for around $1,400 online. What do you think?

I might start at a G.  That's a nice setup, if it's all in order and in good condition.  Just be aware of the weight, and make sure you can load and unload.  I hadn't really considered that many years ago when I got my first purpose built fishing kayak.  At 85 lbs., it was right at the threshold of my ability to lift up to the rack on my car.

• Like 1

I had a Jackson Cuda 14, worked well on the water, but it was a bit of a game getting on the roof of the van. The weight can be a crucial part of your choice of yak if you need to get it on a high roof rack on your own.

• Like 1

Good advice. I think I can do 85 lbs without too much trouble. 

Anything I should look for when I check it out? How do I know if the fish finder is functional on dry land? 

This'll be my 1st yak.

My Old Town Vapor 10 is only ~45lbs, and after a long day of fishing I'm glad it's not 40lbs heavier than that. The Predator 13 is a NICE kayak though. I wouldn't expect to find any issues on one. Not sure how you could ever check a fish finder without being in the water though. If it's a concern I'd just ask to meet at a nearby lake to test it out.

On 10/7/2016 at 9:01 PM, JG233 said:

Good advice. I think I can do 85 lbs without too much trouble. 

Anything I should look for when I check it out? How do I know if the fish finder is functional on dry land? 

This'll be my 1st yak.

Yea it's not like picking up a 45 lb dumbbell. My yak is 43 lbs and 10 foot long. And although it's not heavy.. it's awkward to pick up.. an 80lb one would be more than a chore for sure . 

I don't think I'm a slouch either, me n one other man pack 230 pound Kohler shower doors, and 80lb bags of concrete almost weekly. So. Id just keep that in mind. No matter how strong you think you are. Getting an 80 lb kayak on a car rack WILL be a chore by yourself. 

cartopping a kayak is not about strength as much as it is about technique....i am 5'11" and loaded my ATAK which is 90lbs or so on top of my lifted wrangler without issues.  

My old OK PBG was around 85 lbs.  That about my limit for car topping. 

Agree with @J Francho to shoot for about a grand.
Indeed a nice setup with the included gear. If seller
won't budge, probably ok for the asking price.

My yak is 55# but with trolling motor that brings it
up to maybe 70-75#. Truck bed lift is no biggie, but
when I was car topping, I removed the TM and it 
was fine. At 85#, use your knees, man :)