Jump to content
Wayne P.

New Humminbird

Recommended Posts

For those wanting a small unit that has built-in Auto Chart Live for real time contour map creation, Humminbird has a new model that replaces the Helix 5 series. It is the Helix 5 G2 just announced a couple of days ago.

The GPS versions have Auto Chart Live plus have CHIRP 2D sonar and CHIRP Imaging.

Refer to the Humminbird website for the specs for each version.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that product announcement from HB via email. Pretty nifty - the "trickle-down" of some very nice features formerly only found on the larger/more$$$ units to the smaller/less$$$ units is great.  The new H5-G2s will be great units for applications where space might be somewhat limited (like on a kayak or a portable application) or where the budget is limited.

I guess my HB 570 that I still have in the attic has become even MORE obsolete...:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GPS models have the processing horsepower to read the extra features of the Navionics Hotmaps Platinum that only the larger units have before. A lot of big performance in a small package.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news. That's one of the advantages of Garmin joining the competition for the freshwater fishing market. They had map making software on their newer smaller units, so now Humminbird has had to respond. Win win for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked one of these bad boys up for my little jon. so this does come with auto chart live right out of the box? i got the G2 GPS SI version. thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheCastaMasta said:

I just picked one of these bad boys up for my little jon. so this does come with auto chart live right out of the box? i got the G2 GPS SI version. thanks!

 

Yes, there is a Humminbird Chart menu tab to operate it.

 

You get up to 8 hours of contour mapping to the unit's memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wayne P. said:

 

Yes, there is a Humminbird Chart menu tab to operate it.

 

You get up to 8 hours of contour mapping to the unit's memory.

 

do i need lake master or zero line though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TheCastaMasta said:

 

do i need lake master or zero line though?

Once the unit's memory is full, you can transfer the data to a Zero Line Card and get 8 more hours.

You can also just leave the Zero Line Card in the unit and get several lifetimes of contour mapping. The unit then writes the data directly to the card.

The card has millions of shorelines (zero lines).

 

Lakemaster is a different product of preloaded contour maps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

Once the unit's memory is full, you can transfer the data to a Zero Line Card and get 8 more hours.

You can also just leave the Zero Line Card in the unit and get several lifetimes of contour mapping. The unit then writes the data directly to the card.

The card has millions of shorelines (zero lines).

 

Lakemaster is a different product of preloaded contour maps.

 

 

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Excited to try out this tool this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×