Sign in to follow this  
prjavelin

Pig bowhunting newbie

Hi! Ive been a fisherman for a long time but Im looking towards getting into hunting. Here where I live its not a popular sport if anything at all. Theres a HUGE private property where there are hundreds of wild PIGS. yes not hogs but pigs that have escaped enclosures and have become kind of a pest to the farmers of the area. I have been given permit to go hunting there whenever I want if i just share the meat. Ive been there trapping once with the owner and a guy shot a couple of em. The license and permit for a hunting rifle are stupidly high here. 

My Options are:

Trapping: of which I know nothing

bowhunting: of which I have done a little of shooting but no hunting.

I think that I could set up a feeder and go there once in a couple days and hunt for a while.  Ive been reading that I need broadheads and a lot accurate shot so practice I will. 

Whats a decent budget to get started?

What do I NEED other than the bow and the arrows?

What are your suggestions. If there are any kind of videos, reading material that would get me up to speed?

any help is appreciated!!

Sorry I can't help with the questions but I just wanted to say I haven't hunted since I was in my early 20's but this would bring me back to it. This is something I really want to do. And its not just for the bacon. Well, maybe it is just for the bacon.

Feral Hogs have become a huge nuisance all across America to the point some states have open seasons year round.

Here in Louisiana: Holders of a valid Louisiana hunting license may take feral hogs where legal year round during legal daylight shooting hours (see Nighttime Take of Nuisance Animals & Outlaw Quadrupeds). 

Cajun's practice for archery deer season by hog hunting!

Crossbows & compound bows are without a doubt the #1 choice.

The is a small group who prefer recurve & long bows.

Bows put you in close proximity with the hog so where legal carry a handgun...believe me you'll use it!

My girlfriend is from Alabama. And the last time I was there her crazy family wanted me to go with them and  catch them with their hands.. flip em up and rope them. I think is what they wanted to do. I'm not sure what type of pig or bore . But I wasn't nearly drunk enough to even half way consider the offer. 

@Yeajray231 ya was being set up ;)

Ever try roping or tying up a pig/hog?

Almost impossible!

They will slip most knots!

I agree with Catt. If your hunting hogs with a bow always carry a handgun for emergency. They are much more dangerous than most people know, just Google hog dog injuries.

Just make sure to match your speed and arrow weight to what you are shooting as you will need pretty heavy penetration with a hog.  Broad heads are what you will want to shoot so that is correct. 

Honestly a decent budget on a bow is going to vary on how much money you make in a year lol.

You can get a pretty decent set up out the door for 600 but I would put another couple hundred into it at least. 

What do I NEED other than the bow and the arrows?

do get the essentials like good trigger, peep sight, stabilizer, etc so you can make a good clean shot- for the sight I like only one or two pins ...get more and it will just clutter you up I think.  Save money and go a couple times with just those basics and you will find you don't really need much else...except a good sharp knife and a range finder to practice with as well as hunt with...

• Like 1

hey guys I got a PSE Stinger X at a great price. I bought all the accessories needed, a bunch of arrows, broadheads, well, you name it. A lot of stuff. Im well equiped and about to start practicing my shots. Soon Ill be hunting!!! 

im so pumped!!!

• Like 2