bholtzinger14

Menace and Owner Twistlocks

I have never pitched jigs, craws or creatures before but wanted to try this weekend (small kayak tournament that I'm ok with trying new baits/techniques in).

I ordered some Rage Tail Menaces, structure bugs and 5/0 owner twist lock flippin' hooks. They should be here Friday. Did I go too big on hooks? Plan on flipping around docks waaay more than heavy cover.

I use 3/0 on the Menace & 4/0 on the Bug using the Moaner weighted Stroker hooks (Rage Rig). I seem to get more bites on the 1/8 oz but sometimes they want a faster fall & I'll go to the 1/4 oz.

• Like 4

I had a similar question with the menace. I had been fishing them on a 4/0 and was missing fish. I went to a 3/0 ewg t rigged with a bead and 3/8 tungsten. I fished clean in my tourney and finished 6th overall as a non boater. So I would follow posted advice above and good luck.

• Like 1

Yea 5/0 is real big for the menace. I think you'll barely be piercing the end of the bait. Good lure tho. I like it on the swim jig. 

I use the Menace all the time and have the best luck with a 3/0 Owner straight shank.  It puts the point about 1/8" of an inch from the beginning of the flappers.  The nose of the grub gets torn up pretty fast though.  When I use the owner twist locks, I go down to a 2/0 hook, as I feel that the 3/0 is too heavy and sticks out too far below the plastic.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bholtzinger14 said:

I figured what I ordered was too big. Now to run down and grab some 2/0 and 3/0 and figure out what I am going to use these 5/0 for. 

Zoom ol monster lol 

4 hours ago, chadmack282 said:

5/0 will take away alot of action on the impact 

depends on the length