Jump to content
faygo1979

what would you build a Point blank PB731MXF for?

Recommended Posts

On impulse I picked up a PB731MXF to build for a new bass rod but I am not really sure what this rod would be best for.  I am planning on it as a casting rod But I am wondering what techniques you would recommend for it. 

 

WHat do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddle tails , Senkos , Texas rigs , jigs , spinnerbaits , lipless cranks in grass. Any and all of that up to a half ounce. Blank has over 500 grams of power and a quick tip for all the above techniques. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how does the blank feel ?? from what i've read , which there is not much out there , the blanks have a parabolic action to them despite what the manufacture says , i've been hoping i'm told i'm wrong !

i was interested in the 7'6'' M & MH blanks , please leave some feedback on your opinion of the blank you have and what you'd compare it to , thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call them parabolic. They give / flex as requested by the input of the load they are under. Most rod blanks have a point where they just shut off. From what I understand (and I'll have my 1st in hand for testing soon), Point Blanks don't shut off as quickly yet maintain reserve power due to the "we like big butts and we can not lie". Somewhat similar to JDM tapers, which some people like, myself included. Power to turn fish, yet a continuing flex to get em in the boat. We shall see, but it sounds like a good deal to me. They also talk about how less energy is needed on the back swing to make the rod "load" on a cast. You can basically just quick whip it and still achieve good casting distance. Don't understand the technology entirely, but then again I don't really care if all this is true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hogsticker said:

I wouldn't call them parabolic. They give / flex as requested by the input of the load they are under. Most rod blanks have a point where they just shut off. From what I understand (and I'll have my 1st in hand for testing soon), Point Blanks don't shut off as quickly yet maintain reserve power due to the "we like big butts and we can not lie". Somewhat similar to JDM tapers, which some people like, myself included. Power to turn fish, yet a continuing flex to get em in the boat. We shall see, but it sounds like a good deal to me. They also talk about how less energy is needed on the back swing to make the rod "load" on a cast. You can basically just quick whip it and still achieve good casting distance. Don't understand the technology entirely, but then again I don't really care if all this is true. 

yeah , i follow along on TTF , i know you like a slower ''fast action'' . for me , i want an extra fast tip that shuts off in the top 2/3 of the blank . was really contimplating a point blank rod but i'm either gonna go with a NFC HM-806 or get a Phenix 707MH and a 707H .

would appreciate it if you would post your initial review of the blank when you get it , give a comparison please , thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point blank rod blanks are not a slow fast. They're straight fast. Most of the Nfc blanks are a slow fast , as is the K2. You might be better served with an Ultra mbx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hogsticker said:

Point blank rod blanks are not a slow fast. They're straight fast. Most of the Nfc blanks are a slow fast , as is the K2. You might be better served with an Ultra mbx. 

that's why i'm interested in the MB-806 HM that's extra fast ,

got's to say that i love the deflection charts they have for a lot of blanks on the RodHouse website !!!

also , from NFC's website , they say the 806 is pretty much on par with the NRX 894 JWR in terms of power , sounds perfect for jigs between 3/8 - 5/8 plus trailer

 

806.jpg

mb-806-hm deflection.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any blank will bend into the handle of enough force is applied. A "parabolic " blank is slower than slow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I should have checked my typing. It is actually a pb73mlf. Thinking smaller plastics and 1/4 oz grips and such. They do seem to have more of a parabolic Bend then something like a st. Croix or even rain shadow type blank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I use my MLXF for shakey heads anything finesse.  I prefer MHX blanks.  IMHO they are lighter and have a more true action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2016 at 10:23 PM, Big Bait Fishing said:

yeah , i follow along on TTF , i know you like a slower ''fast action'' . for me , i want an extra fast tip that shuts off in the top 2/3 of the blank . was really contimplating a point blank rod but i'm either gonna go with a NFC HM-806 or get a Phenix 707MH and a 707H .

would appreciate it if you would post your initial review of the blank when you get it , give a comparison please , thanks !

Yeah , I found that rodhouse site helpful when choosing my blank. It doesn't show the AA tip angle for the 806. Mine is a little faster with a little more power than I was expecting. You may want to take a look at the SJ706 before you decide. It's a true fast with about the same amount of power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hogsticker said:

Yeah , I found that rodhouse site helpful when choosing my blank. It doesn't show the AA tip angle for the 806. Mine is a little faster with a little more power than I was expecting. You may want to take a look at the SJ706 before you decide. It's a true fast with about the same amount of power. 

i like rods 7'6'' - 8' , no way i could use a 7' rod , just feels awkward .

i check out the ERN and AA on the NFC website , the 806 HM ERN is 23.84 and the AA is 75.60

the IM SJ706 has an ERN of 24.30 and the AA is 73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Bait Fishing said:

i like rods 7'6'' - 8' , no way i could use a 7' rod , just feels awkward .

i check out the ERN and AA on the NFC website , the 806 HM ERN is 23.84 and the AA is 75.60

the IM SJ706 has an ERN of 24.30 and the AA is 73

Pretty close ! 76 degrees is about where the xfast begins. Mine was 72 and 23.05. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hogsticker said:

Pretty close ! 76 degrees is about where the xfast begins. Mine was 72 and 23.05. 

you have the IM SJ706 ?? the data for that rod is what i posted = ERN of 24.30 and AA of 73 , do you have a different blank ??

EDIT: just looked at the other thread and see that it is the IM SJ705 . that blank is said to have an ERN of 24.05 and an AA of 71.20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not unusual for blanks of the same model to vary slightly in ern or aa . The posted specs will get you close enough to never tell the difference though. I'd like to see CCS catch on more with manufacturers but I'm not holding my breath. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×