Sign in to follow this  
ScottK91

Help with flippin rod

I'm looking to get a new flipping rod but the problem is im only 5'5 so longer rods are a little harder for me to use. Right now I'm using a 6'6 MH lews laser mg combo it does ok but just want something nicer. So any suggestions on what length I should get would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to any brand and looking to spend $150-200. Also looking to get a new reel in the same price range  

Thanks

Scott

7'6. Go with the longest rod you can get, a shorter person needs the extra length for leverage on a fish.

7'6" is what I use for flippin too and is pretty much the standard for flippin. But they are making them longer and longer now. As for reels, I've become quite a Lew's fan now and all but 3 of my reels are now Lew's. Can't remember the model number off the top of my head right now but the best one they make for quality, durability, and price range is the one that retails for $159.99. 

7 to 7'6" is a good choice. as far as reels abu's 2nd genereation orra is what I  use. lews reels would be a great second choice.as long as it has an aluminum frame for strength.

I just bought. 7'6" Diawa Tatula and love it.  I've Been bank fishing with it lately which, taking away the height of a boat from the water, effectively makes me your height.  Hasn't been a huge issue and several times I've tossed a frog on there when I wanted to reach a bit further.  I have a Lews Tournament G on mine now but my reasoning is it was the last reel standing.  I would have put a BB1 pro or one of my Tatula Rs on it, but of the bunch, the Tourney G is my least favorite so it went on the rod most likely to see the heaviest baits.