I loaned my rod and reel to a good buddy of mine that has just bairly started taking up fishing. When I got it back it was dirty and I did general maintenance I didn't take the apart I just cleaned and put a few dabs of oil here and there dap of grease on the shaft. Well the bail is not engaging? It just spins with the bail wire up? It will engage most of the time but here and there it doesn't. Any help brothas? It's the new Sedona so I spent 70 bucks on it  which is not super expensive but it's a pretty penny so. Any ideas? Thanks

I'm not a reel repair guy but it sounds like the bail spring to me. They are cheap to replace if you are comfortable doing it yourself. If not it shouldn't be too much to get a reel guy to fix for you.

Shimano doesn't use the traditional bail spring design. Either the hinges are dirty ( most likely) or the wire got bent enough to cause the hinges to bind

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Shimano doesn't use the traditional bail spring design. Either the hinges are dirty ( most likely) or the wire got bent enough to cause the hinges to bind

And......... if it's not dirty hinges, this is the reel guy I'd send it to be fixed.

Yeah dvt I'm sure your spot on because it looks like he tried to bend the wire back to normal so I'm sure he bent it.  I just didn't think that's what was causing the problem, Sucks, so I guess I have to order a bail wire from somewhere ? And replace it. Thanks @paw paw and @Delaware Valley Tackle