Sign in to follow this  
Laggyman

Fishing Long-Billed Jerkbaits

What's a good way of fishing long-billed jerkbaits?? (Staysee, LB pointer etc)

I find myself often using them like crankbaits, and that doesn't produce much  :;)  I like using short-billed jerkbaits a lot by twitching them around, but that doesn't creat satisfactory movement for those long billed cousins.

Any suggestions??

Jerk - Stop - Jerk - Stop ??

Throw it, let it settle,couple of small twitches,wind it down to depth, twitch,twitch,pausssssssssssssssssssss,twitch,twitch.........

Fish them he same way you fish short billed ones. hey just run deeper. I like to use them when fish are suspended and won't chase a shallow running jerkbait. This puts the bait more in the strike zone.

Rob

I was wondering why they seemed to have a sluggish movement... I'll try fishing them the same way as the short bills. The thought had never crossed my mind  :;)

THanks!!

Rebel Spoonbill, one of my favorites. Get it deep, twitch it, wind it, twitch it.

Yep...my first DD minnow was a spoonbill in Tennessee shad I found in a tree about 18yrs ago when I was a kid.  I caught several fish on it, and it gave me a lot of confidence in those baits.

Another option: I fish it like a worm I cast it out and reel it down and stop the bait then sweep the rod to the side and stop the bait (pause) and reel up the slack then sweep it again. Kinda like fishing a carolina rig.

great question- I have $200 worth of 90sp staysee's and luv'em to death!  I find them useful in the spring/fall in cold/clear water 40-55deg. The retreive is very simple; cast as long and far as possible reel down fast and hard til you think bait is at max depth, then stop/pause for 5-10sec then reel up slack til line is tight and RIP RIP RIP, jerk that rod so you can feel that bait pulse hard 3 different times and stop watch line stay paused- then repeat. Play with the retreives sometimes they only like a single rip or a very long pause up to a minute or I have heard of even longer! Play with this retrieve and it sounds funny but you seriously can't jerk it to hard! go for it and hold on

I love the Staysee 80 and 80 SP's, especially parallel to steep banks.  I just toss 'em out, reel 'em down a bit and then fish the same as any other jerkbait.

Good luck!

Brad