blckshirt98

Reel Maintenance - Grease vs Oil?

Question for the reel maintenance people - I'm not one to take apart reels where I get to the gears and clean and re-lube completely, but I'll do the noob things such as remove spools, handles, and make sure they're clean.  One question I have though is that I've been putting drops of reel oil (Ardent Reel Butter) onto the moving parts like oiling up a bike chain - for example in a spinning reel i'll put some on the shaft that goes up and down until the reel is smooth, and for casting reels I'll remove the spool and put some drops into the gear area of the reel.  I'm not sure if the oil is the right lube for the job or if I should be using grease, but the reels feel better.  Am I doing more harm than good doing this as opposed to a proper maintenance job?

Think about it this way, if you never changed the oil in your car and just kept on adding to it, you'd still have dirty oil, right?

If you are going to lube your reel, take it apart and clean each section separately (and dry). Then apply a small amount of quality reel grease on the gears and a drop or two of oil on the shaft, bail assembly and bearings (unless the bearings are the sealed type). I also disassemble the drag washers and apply a light coating of oil between each washer.  Close it up again and forget about it for the season. If you fish 5 or 6 days a week, then maybe do this procedure twice a season.

This has worked for me for about 40 years. I still have some of my original reels as well. Maybe there is a better way, but whatever works for you, don't knock it. :)

• Like 1

The only problem with oiling gears is that it doesn't last long at all. What you're doing is better than nothing but you really should consider at least bi annual deep cleaning thru a service of you're not comfortable doing it. 

• Like 1

Touch of oil in bearings, grease on gears.

• Like 1