Jump to content
Jm526

Lake Okeechobe recently

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I'm headed up to lake okeechobee this weekend. I will be fishing out of South Bay rv boat ramp and will be camping there both Saturday and Sunday. Haven't been there in quite some time, been so busy. How's the fishing? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance and tight lines everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't run any of the cuts! The lake is really low right now, I was out yesterday. I ran the rim canal to main lake and fished the outer grass lines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tyler Schmidt said:

Don't run any of the cuts! The lake is really low right now, I was out yesterday. I ran the rim canal to main lake and fished the outer grass lines.  

 What about Boy Scout cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go slow and stay in it to go where you're going. 

Last week got a little hairy. 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

outside lines for sure. watch your depth its getting low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jm526 said:

 What about Boy Scout cut?

I didn't even try boy scout, I went the long way around to Pelican Bay, onto South Bay then ran to the Harney Pond area. Then I ran from Harney Pond to Clewiston and ran the canal back to Slims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a tournament out of Harney Pond this weekend and from what Ive been reading I think I'm suggest to stay either in the bays off the canal or in the Lake not too far from the entrance.

 

Been hearing too many stories of guys loseing thier lower units running and gunning. 

 

 

 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the info, if I didn't post I would probably just go hauling through Boy Scout without paying attention. My plan is to head to pelican bay fish there heading to South Bay and fish all along. Depending on how that goes I might just head to the rim canal and just fish those little cuts on the side. I won't go in hem with the big motor, I will use the trolling motor. Also any tips going to pelican bay heading to South Bay, I have never been out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember the grass acts like a filter and cleans the water. Pelican was real muddy on the outside line, South bay was a bit better in the areas that had eel grass mixed in, wind was ripping when I was out the other day

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jm526 said:

Thanks to the info, if I didn't post I would probably just go hauling through Boy Scout without paying attention. My plan is to head to pelican bay fish there heading to South Bay and fish all along. Depending on how that goes I might just head to the rim canal and just fish those little cuts on the side. I won't go in hem with the big motor, I will use the trolling motor. Also any tips going to pelican bay heading to South Bay, I have never been out there

Just stay in the canal from Pelican to the Clewiston lock and go into So. Bay from there and you'll be fine. 

 

Also, don't foget about the other side of the canal especially around the rocks on the shore line. 

Throw a sq.bill, chatterbait or drag a football jig all the way back. 

 

Also, if you're into drop shotting you should be able to limit out quick with 1lb - 2lb fish and then go big girl hunting. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike L said:

Just stay in the canal from Pelican to the Clewiston lock and go into So. Bay from there and you'll be fine. 

 

Also, don't foget about the other side of the canal especially around the rocks on the shore line. 

Throw a sq.bill, chatterbait or drag a football jig all the way back. 

 

Also, if you're into drop shotting you should be able to limit out quick with 1lb - 2lb fish and then go big girl hunting. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike 

I don't understand when you say stay in the canal from pelican bay to clewiston lock. Is there a chanle out there with markers? Could you please explain more, I've never been out that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no channel markers in the canal but its 20ft deep in some areas so you can take that all way if you don't want go into the lake.

When I mentioned the Clewiston lock I did so in case you didn't want to cut across and get to So. Bay from the canal, It's the long way but safe. 

 

When you see the lock on your left, turn right, that's Coots Bay. When you get in the lake turn right again and keep going. So Bay will be on the other side of Ritta Island.

 

 

 

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike L said:

There are no channel markers in the canal but its 20ft deep in some areas so you can take that all way if you don't want go into the lake.

When I mentioned the Clewiston lock I did so in case you didn't want to cut across and get to So. Bay from the canal, It's the long way but safe. 

 

When you see the lock on your left, turn right, that's Coots Bay. When you get in the lake turn right again and keep going. So Bay will be on the other side of Ritta Island.

 

 

 

Mike

 

 

I don't completely understand, please bear with me. I'm going to head out of South Bay RV boat ramp and head northwest on the rim canal until I run into pelican bay then head left/west to Clewiston. Should there be a canal that heads to Clewiston or what? Sorry I just want to be informed before I head out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jm526 said:

I don't completely understand, please bear with me. I'm going to head out of South Bay RV boat ramp and head northwest on the rim canal until I run into pelican bay then head left/west to Clewiston. Should there be a canal that heads to Clewiston or what? Sorry I just want to be informed before I head out there.

 

No problem...

Yes, you can go that way if you want to travel the Lake

My point was if you turn west out of So. Bay boat ramp you are in the rim canal which will take you to Clewiston, Moore Haven etc. Same one you're taking to Pelican Bay...Just in the opposite direction.

 

Sorry for confusing you..tough day

 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike L said:

 

No problem...

Yes, you can go that way if you want to travel the Lake

My point was if you turn west out of So. Bay boat ramp you are in the rim canal which will take you to Clewiston, Moore Haven etc. Same one you're taking to Pelican Bay...Just in the opposite direction.

 

Sorry for confusing you..tough day

 

 

Mike 

Thanks for your patience, I got you now. Last question is how safe is running the lake from pelican bay? Also which way would be better for fishing? I might try both ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jm526 said:

Thanks for your patience, I got you now. Last question is how safe is running the lake from pelican bay? Also which way would be better for fishing? I might try both ways. 

You should be fine going that way. 

If it was me I'd stay in and around So. Bay and Ritta Island all day. 

 

If you wanted to make a run, head to the Harney Pond area up to Horse Island. If you go that way I heard the Monkey Box is pretty scary right now so I'd stay out of there. 

 

Good Luck and Have Fun

 

 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mike L said:

You should be fine going that way. 

If it was me I'd stay in and around So. Bay and Ritta Island all day. 

 

If you wanted to make a run, head to the Harney Pond area up to Horse Island. If you go that way I heard the Monkey Box is pretty scary right now so I'd stay out of there. 

 

Good Luck and Have Fun

 

 

 

Mike 

Ok thanks for your help, my plan is Saturday morning fish small little openings on the rim canal until sun comes up. Then I will head to pelican bay on the rim canal then head to Rita island and fish all around that area. I should spend the whole day out there and if it's good I will fish there Sunday, if no luck then I will have to come up with a backup plan.  Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how it goes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...