XF15-Loader

Brecknell Scales

So my Brecknell landed earlier I'm the week and I finally got to go out n use it.  Love the scale itself but...Man do I have questions...Lol.

When you clip the fish...Where do I clip him?  Just behind the bony part of the lip?  As far in as possible? I'm assuming not on the tongue since it's the thickest part of the mouth.

Secondly, do I have to zero the scale every time I turn it on?  

Third, what's the tare function?  Will it store each fish's weight?  

Finally, since I usually fish alone, I'm concerned w the amount of time it takes to unhook the fish, zero the scale, clip the fish, weigh it, and return it to the water.  How long is too long?

Thanks for any info!!

-J

Buy a plastic fish gripper & place the scale hook thru the handle of the gripper. That will solve all the problems trying to get the hook inserted without harming the fish. The scale should zero itself when you turn it on. The tare feature allows you to weigh a fish in the net or add something else to the scale regarding weight other than the fish. By hitting the tare feature it resets the weight hanging from the scale back to zero so when you weigh a fish in the net it only reads the fish's weight. Weighing a fish should not be problem time wise out of the water. I go by the rule don't keep the fish out of the water any longer than you can hold your breath while under the water. About 2-3 minutes. You can put them in the live well or back into the net in the water between operations if you need extra time. You're going to love the accuracy of that scale. MLF format uses them.  

Replace the battery once a year to avoid problems. 

Thanks for the reply, @Dwight Hottle.  I did purchase the jaw gripper Jr that was recommended w the scale.  But now I wonder if I should've gotten the larger model.  I feel like I'm not going much past the bony part of the jaw when I lock on.  

As for the scale itself..I already love it.  I'm just so nervous I'm going to break it or short it out...Lol. How rugged are they? 

This guy weighed in at #2.46.  Not bad for a golf course pond!

IMG_20170408_100800.jpg

• Like 1