Hawkeye21

Auction diamonds in the rough

I went to an auction last week where they had a bunch of damaged and opened leftover inventory from Gander Mountain after they closed.  I had my eye on some Lews Mach 2 combos where the only issue was a cracked trigger on the handle but some kids got them for $65 each.  Still a good deal if that's all that's wrong with them but I wasn't willing to go that high.  

There was a Gander Mountain brand combo that was the exact type of rod I was looking for.  It was a 6'6" Medium Fast spinning rod with a basic reel on it.  It looked to be used and not damaged but all I really wanted was the pole since I have a reel already.  I ended up winning it for $25 which I though was a pretty good deal.  Looked online and I think the combo sold for $80 new.

Once bids started dropping more I decided to bid on one more thing I had my eye on.  There was a rod that was snapped in half but it had a nice looking reel on it that I figured was worth some money.  I didn't know for sure what it was worth but I managed to buy it for $12.50 since the rod was busted.  The reel is a Lews Speed Spin TS200H.  After looking online it looks like its about a $90 reel.

I haven't used any of them yet but both seem to be in good shape.  I think I ended up doing well for myself.

• Like 1