I am currently using 15 lb Powerpro on all my spinning reels. I use Seaguar Invisx as my leader in 6 and 8 lb test. I always tie a double uni knot with 8 wraps on the braid and 6 with the floro. I reel down to about 6" from the reel when casting. This gives me a leader about the length of the rod. I usually use and improved clinch knot (i think). I will use a uni with 8 wraps when not on the water. When I tie the clinch knot, I just spin the line a bunch of times. It usually doesn't cinch down right, even when wet, but i use my nail to slide the knot to the hook. I then pull hard to see if it is strong. My uncle takes the time to wrap the line around the hook, but only feeds it through the loop once. i do it twice. I bet I'm tying wrong, but i will likely try to change that habit. Any advice is appreciated. I am also going to try and learn the dodd or fg knot, i forget which one is better for long casts. also what is the best leader line to use in 8lb test. if fish clear water so fc is a must. i do like 10 lb cxx around docks though. So what leader line? i will likely buy invisx or abrazo now, because I'm headed on a clear water lake trip in vt, but will try tatsu next season. thanks

You're useing "main" line for your leaders. Pick up flouro that is sold as leader line,  which is more abrasion resistant. Someone will be along to give you the scientific reasons why. 

After passing the tag end through the loop by the hook eye,  pass it again through the big loop you just made. Thats called the improved clinch knot. Its a very good knot to use. 

I used to use that but I found the San Diego Jam to be a better knot for flouro.

The reason you're having to use your thumb to slide the knot down is you are overlapping the twists. 

Each turn should be next to each other and not ony for that knot, all of them. 

It's a common mistake that a lot of people make on almost all knots. 

Just take your time and pay attention to how you're tying it. 

Mike 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike L said:

You're useing "main" line for your leaders. Pick up flouro that is sold as leader line,  which is more abrasion resistant. Someone will be along to give you the scientific reasons why. 

After passing the tag end through the loop by the hook eye,  pass it again through the big loop you just made. Thats called the improved clinch knot. Its a very good knot to use. 

I used to use that but I found the San Diego Jam to be a better knot for flouro.

The reason you're having to use your thumb to slide the knot down is you are overlapping the twists. 

Each turn should be next to each other and not ony for that knot, all of them. 

It's a common mistake that a lot of people make on almost all knots. 

Just take your time and pay attention to how you're tying it. 

Mike 

Should i "knot" wrap the line by twisting?

I wouldn't.

If you're not useing your fingers to wrap the tag end, just let your lure hang and wrap it around holding the tag end with one hand watching closely than each wrap doesn't overlap the previous one. 

If your line is twisted and you wrap on it, that's why you can't cinch it down without having to force it. 

Mike

• Like 1