Guest Lynchburger

7' St. Croix Premier vs Mojo Bass (and M vs MH) for new Daiwa BG 3000 spinning?

Guest Lynchburger

Hey guys!  First time poster, but long time lurker.  I've been steadily updating and upgrading my 20yr old baitcasting and spinning arsenal, and the tackle monkey recently convinced me to purchase a new spinning outfit (my other spinning gear is UL and L for trout and smallmouth).  Most of my $ is in baitcasters, but I figured that everyone should have at least one decent versatile spinning outfit...

I purchased the "new" Daiwa BG 3000, which now needs a rod mate.  The BG 3000 size is a bit larger than I ordinarily would've purchased as a go-to largemouth reel (I tend to favor small and light); however, I wanted something that could (to the extent possible) be a do-all for the following:

-80% used for bass on Smith Mountain Lake, Briery Creek and municipal reservoirs, tossing spinnerbaits, topwater, large worms and super flukes.  

-also used for casting for 10lb+ striped bass on Smith Mountain Lake (in lieu of an ugly stick).

-once a summer, taken to Emerald Isle for catching pompano and blues in the surf.

The BG 3000 has a good enough drag to handle all of the above, and weighs 10.8oz (a little more than other 2000-3000 reels, but not obnoxious).  I'm worried a bit about balance, though.

I've settled upon the St. Croix Premier and Mojo Bass rods, 7' in either Medium or Medium Heavy, Fast.  The models are spec'ed substantially the same, but the grips vary (full vs split, and the Mojo would seat the reel ~1" closer to the butt than the Premier).  I don't have access to handle either, so was hoping for some advice as to which model and which power might balance best with the BG 3000 and suit my purposes as a generalist setup.  I'm currently leaning towards Medium power, and also towards the full cork Premier - but don't want to make a mistake.  Thanks in advance!

Premier (SCII; full cork):

• PS70MF  6-12lb  1/4-5/8oz  weighs 4.1oz
  • PS70MHF  8-14lb  3/8-3/4oz  weighs 4.6oz

Mojo Bass (SCIII; split grip):

• MJS71MF ("Tubes & Grubs")  6-12lb  3/16-5/8oz  weighs 3.8oz
  • MJS71MHF ("Power Spin")  8-14lb  3/8-3/4oz  weighs 4.7oz

The BG 3000 is a fairly heavy reel and would likely balance better on the split grip mojo. I would go with the medium power as well.

Guest Lynchburger

Thanks, man!  I was thinking the same thing re: the Mojo (split grip = better to offset the reel weight).  But then I noticed that the Mojo reel seat is closer to the butt than the Premier's, which got me to thinking that a heavy reel slightly closer to the end of the rod might make any issues feel worse (leverage being greater the closer to the butt you go)...  Probably thinking too much!  

I would lean towards the mojo in a medium. I have the new mojo 6'8" mxf and I love it. 

You could always bring the reel to the store and mount them on both rods to see which feels best to you. 

Good luck to you and enjoy the new rod. 

I've got both premier and mojo bass rods by St Croix and I think I like the mojo version slightly better simply because it has a split grip.

For a $130 rod you can do alot better these days tham the premier blank IMO. Its not very sensitive and theyre tip heavy in my experience. The newer mojos are a step up on the blank alone, but I havent fished them. St Croixs medium will handle most of what you encounter at Briery (definetely go braid), I pulled a 27" fish out of a laydown a couple years back w/a 1st gen mojo. 

As for the balancing, if you can Id really try to take your reel into a store. My experience is the weight really needs to be farther back for it to offset a tip heavy rod like st croixs can be. With a spinning reel the weight is pretty much directly at your hand and the small amount in front of it, though not much- compounds the torque. I put a 40 series 11oz president on the 7' Mojo thinking it'd help "balance", it didn't....It just made a tip heavy set up more heavy overall.

Adding balancing weights to the butt cap did the trick however.

Guest Lynchburger

Thanks, all, for the solid advice.

Craww, good to meet someone local.  What are some of the other options you would recommend?  I've also been interested in the Dobyns Fury...

Cabelas has split grip Premiers.I have a 6'6"MF spinning and love it.