Scrapiron

Inshore Rod power- M or ML

7 posts in this topic

Looking to get an inshore spinning rod- right now a Loomis E6X Inshore 843s is leading the list. Mainly to match the 843c I already have. :) Will be using a Stadic ci4+ 2500 reel with 10# Sufix 832. I'll be in a kayak 50% of the time, other 50% in a bay boat. Fishing for specks, reds, flounder, stripers mainly.

I love how the 843c loads up- just really nice and soft tip. I like it more that a comparable St. Croix Tidemaster- which is no slouch.

Two questions-

1. Any other contenders? ALX is also on the list, but no opportunity to try it out. Budget is $200.

2. Should I go with a ML- the 842s?

I'd recommend the medium. I was in the market for an inshore rod earlier this summer, I was considering the e6x Inshore but came across a ML Avid Inshore (rated to 1/2 oz) on sale. I love the rod, but I think it's too light for the inshore fishing I do. I regret not getting a medium, but the bait monkey got to me lol.

For reference, I fish from a kayak as well in New Jersey. My intended uses for the rod was light jigs and plastics (1/4-3/8 bucktails+gulp). It can throw those weights ok, but felt like the rod was maxing out. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in shallow water, but at times have to jig in 25+ feet. The Medium would have been a better match for me. I now use it as a drop shot/keitech rod in freshwater.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Avid Inshores, and my kayaking buddy actually just bought a Loomis Greenwater Rod, which he loves so far.

Thanks Wet. I've got a couple of Avid X spinning and they're great, but I want a soft tip for loading light lures/live bait and those delicate speck mouths. :) That 843c tip is seductive.

The Greenwater and Avid are just out of my reach $ wise.

If you are mainly going after specs go with the ML. Also try to find something in a mod/fast action.

The Lews LI-MLS70 is a VERY good trout rod.

If you really want the E6X I would go with the E6X 842S MF.

Look at the St Croix Premier 7' ML. Around $120 - $130.

Have several rods costing twice as much and this is my favorite.

I did look at a St. Croix Premier 7' ML Mod  yestetday and you're right- it was pretty darn good! Nice action, weight.  However I went with the E6X Med- as it felt just a shade lighter, softer, and more sensitive.

How big are the fish?  For general tidal creek and wading inshore fishing in South Carolina/Florida, my ML Tidemaster does just fine on the trout, reds, flounder and other surprises.  I imagine it'd do fine for schoolie stripers, but I'd step up to the M if the stripers were 10+ lbs.