mvanstr

Help me breakdown small local lake

So this is a lake I have tried taking the kayak to a few times. So far I haven't had much luck. It difficult to locate fish not having a depth finder on the kayak yet. the river feeds in from the top middle and its less than a foot deep at the mouth due to silt/dirt build up. There is also a lot of vegetation up top right into that little finger and leading up to the little road bridge. The dam is in the bottom right that would lead back into the river. Along the bottom and left there are a few lay downs and two small docks. Not sure how deep it gets in the middle. It has rained a lot lately so water clarity has been bad. People I have talked to said the fishing can be hit or miss but some guys have caught some 5+ lbers... What can I do to improve my trips. I'm going to try and paddle up the river farther as well. Thanks for any help, ya'll are aweomse.  

Barrys Pond 2.jpg

I'd probably start near the dam, and work the west side up to the bridge.  I'd be looking real hard by and bridge supports.  From there, it's really just a matter finding "fishy" locations.  You just need some time on the water.  I graph might be useful, in the deeper water by the dam.

• Like 1

I'd also hit the edges of those thick weeds in that top little bay.  Senko's with a wacky rig or weightless texas if the weeds won't let you use wacky.  That part also looks like hollow body frog heaven. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dens228 said:

I'd also hit the edges of those thick weeds in that top little bay.  Senko's with a wacky rig or weightless texas if the weeds won't let you use wacky.  That part also looks like hollow body frog heaven. 

This is prob the area I have fished the most just because I love throwing the frog. I've had a few blow ups, but no fish landed yet. I did catch a decent fish with a wacky rigged senko in a shaded area in that bay... Will try and slow down and work these areas again next time.  

I did some mapping on that lake one day and uploaded my contours to Navionics site.  I used to fish out there a lot and did pretty well, but it seems construction in the area has made the lake really muddy in the last few year.

I had the most luck in the grass and pads before the bridge throwing buzzbaits, frogs and T-rig lizards.  I also had good luck on the shady bank near the dam with senkos and jigs.  I haven't been out there in a few years though.  

• Like 2

I've put Lake Fork hooks on the back of all my frogs.   It helped a lot with hook ups.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, curtis9 said:

I did some mapping on that lake one day and uploaded my contours to Navionics site.  I used to fish out there a lot and did pretty well, but it seems construction in the area has made the lake really muddy in the last few year.

I had the most luck in the grass and pads before the bridge throwing buzzbaits, frogs and T-rig lizards.  I also had good luck on the shady bank near the dam with senkos and jigs.  I haven't been out there in a few years though.  

Awesome, great insight. You are from the area then? I moved to Duncan/Spartanburg a couple years ago from Clemson. Any other places I should be kayak fishing? Thanks! 

I live in Spartanburg.  For kayak fishing, I'd recommend the various hp limited lakes  (Blaylock, Robinson) or some of the state park lakes.  

The Tyger River Foundation is putting in some kayak launch points in the area, so that should open up some more river access.  One of the first ones to open will be at Berry's Pond.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, curtis9 said:

I live in Spartanburg.  For kayak fishing, I'd recommend the various hp limited lakes  (Blaylock, Robinson) or some of the state park lakes.  

The Tyger River Foundation is putting in some kayak launch points in the area, so that should open up some more river access.  One of the first ones to open will be at Berry's Pond.  

I need to try some of those lakes. I went to Croft state park and that was okay, pretty little lake. I did see they were building that ramp. It like 5 minutes from my house so that is super convenient. I do feel bad for Browns tackle, but paying 3 dollars to launch 2  or 3 times a week adds up. lol