GateToWire

Mojo Bass VS Dobyns Fury Casting Rods

Hi Guys.....buying my first 2 casting rods.

I am looking in the $110-$150 price category and the Mojo Bass and Dobyns Fury rods seem to stick out.

I am planning on buying a Medium Heavy, Fast Action rod as a versatile main rod and a Medium Heavy, Moderate Action rod for crankbaits.

Both the Mojo Bass and the Dobyns look great for what I am looking for.....is there any real difference? Mojo has cork on both handles vs Dobyns with only one cork handle.

I'm a bit lost on the technology so I am not sure if one is better than the other or if it's just a personal preference? 

Is the Mojo worth the extra $20 per rod…..always better to save $40 if the Dobyns is just as good

Would love to hear from some more experienced anglers on their opinion. I’m just looking for the best quality in my price range.

Why not grab 1 of each and see which you like better. I have both of them. I'd give the slight edge to the mojo.

3 hours ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Why not grab 1 of each and see which you like better. I have both of them. I'd give the slight edge to the mojo.

I may just do that.

What do you like about the Mojo that gives it a slight edge?

Spinning or casting? Reels? Lures?

Tom

Everyone has their preference of course. In my opinion ( and it is only my opinion from fishing their rods) but I like the rod blank better on the Dobyns Fury rods.  I would suggest a 705CB for your cranks.

If you do not go this way then take a serious look at an Irod Genesis II model 703CC. It is called a Gabes Riprap special.  I used to fish with a bunch of ST Croix rods till I found Dobyns, Powell and Irod rods.  

I have replaced all of my ST Croix with rods from those companies.

I find them just more sensitive and I like the actions better.

MY main rod for cranks, traps, squarebills etc is the Irod model IRG 703CC.

My friend Kris has most of his arsenal made up of Fury rod, so I am in no way saying one is better, I like the way each fishes. 

As for a general purpose MH Fast I would look at a Fury FR734C. Another good choice would be a Powell Max 3D either a model 683CEF or a model Max 3D 723CEF.  I fish a Max 683 CEF ( pre 3D version) and love love love it. Among all of my 12 baitcasters that rod is my most versatile rod.  Take a look at the Tackletour review of this rod. I have spoken with the owner of Powell and he assures me if I purchased a Max 3D version I would not see any difference between the Max and the Max 3 D in performance. They upgraded the blank material a little and the components some. The rode would fish equally well. Here is the rod review to read.  http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowell683cxfast.html

Irod offers a nice option here as well. Take a look at a IRG 704C or IRG 744C.

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Spinning or casting? Reels? Lures?

Tom

Casting. Going to pair with a Lew's Tournament MB

Planning on having a Medium Heavy/Fast Action as an All purpose and a Medium Heavy/Moderate Fast for Crankbaits.

I have a nice spinning setup for Finesse already. I will eventually fill in more specialty rods but for I'm planning on just a 3 rod setup for now

1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

Everyone has their preference of course. In my opinion ( and it is only my opinion from fishing their rods) but I like the rod blank better on the Dobyns Fury rods.  I would suggest a 705CB for your cranks.

If you do not go this way then take a serious look at an Irod Genesis II model 703CC. It is called a Gabes Riprap special.  I used to fish with a bunch of ST Croix rods till I found Dobyns, Powell and Irod rods.  

I have replaced all of my ST Croix with rods from those companies.

I find them just more sensitive and I like the actions better.

MY main rod for cranks, traps, squarebills etc is the Irod model IRG 703CC.

My friend Kris has most of his arsenal made up of Fury rod, so I am in no way saying one is better, I like the way each fishes. 

As for a general purpose MH Fast I would look at a Fury FR734C. Another good choice would be a Powell Max 3D either a model 683CEF or a model Max 3D 723CEF.  I fish a Max 683 CEF ( pre 3D version) and love love love it. Among all of my 12 baitcasters that rod is my most versatile rod.  Take a look at the Tackletour review of this rod. I have spoken with the owner of Powell and he assures me if I purchased a Max 3D version I would not see any difference between the Max and the Max 3 D in performance. They upgraded the blank material a little and the components some. The rode would fish equally well. Here is the rod review to read.  http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowell683cxfast.html

Irod offers a nice option here as well. Take a look at a IRG 704C or IRG 744C.

Thanks....Appreciate your opinion and the info...Will check these out!!

I would go St.Croix. The only Dobyns I ever got to check out were the old champions...and I would take the Mojo over those. 

Both Dobyns and St Crox are excellent companies with good warranties and customer service. Dobyns is a more personal rod company focused specifically on bass fishing, giving them an edge for your needs. Dobyns often has refurbished upgrades availble so call them.

The Fury has been a very popular series, FR734C is a good all around MH fast rod, deep diving cranks the FR 705 CB is OK, I would prefer a longer rod.

Tom

12 hours ago, BassBoy05 said:

I may just do that.

What do you like about the Mojo that gives it a slight edge?

Sensitivity.

i have 2 Mojos and love them. However... look at the Daiwa Tatula rods for 150$ I like them even better.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 11:10 AM, WRB said:

Both Dobyns and St Crox are excellent companies with good warranties and customer service. Dobyns is a more personal rod company focused specifically on bass fishing, giving them an edge for your needs. Dobyns often has refurbished upgrades availble so call them.

The Fury has been a very popular series, FR734C is a good all around MH fast rod, deep diving cranks the FR 705 CB is OK, I would prefer a longer rod.

Tom

Thanks Tom

I did a bunch more research and decided to go with the Dobyns FR734C and FR705CB

It was a tough choice as both the Fury and Mojo Bass would have met my needs very well.

I ended up going with the Fury because of extra warranty, the trade up program, their hands on customer service and my desire to support a Family run, smaller company....I know St.Croix is also family run but I decided to support the smaller of the two companies. I have 2 St. Croix spinning rods that I like, but wanted to give Dobyns a try.

Thanks again for your input and the others who commented...the responses were great and really helped me make up my mind on what was right for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I own both and to be honest I can't give an edge to either. It really just depends on what mood I'm in. I will say if your a fan of a stiffer rod go with st.croix if you like a more limber rod ( mostly the tip) go with the dobyns.

I use both tho equally and if something were to ever happen and all my rods were destroyed I wouldnt buy all on or the other I would buy the same Mojos and the same furys and champions again.... although with the warranties both companies have I wouldn't need to cause both companies have a warranty that no matter what happened even if it was your fault you just pay a small fee (which is a fraction of the price of a new rod) and they will send you a new one

• Like 1