Chris at Tech

2017 Panama City Beach

Took the annual family fall pilgrimage to the Gulf Coast, Panama City Beach to be exact, so of course I had to wet a line.

Fishing in the surf was unproductive but my usual guide trip and wading excursions to St Andrews Park were both great!

On our outing this year with Captain Justin Leake, I think we caught just about everything swimming in the Gulf at this time of year.  Red, mangrove, lane and vermillion snapper.  Black, red and scamp grouper.  Amber and almaco jacks.  Flounder, Blue Runner, King Mackeral, Triggerfish, Dolphin, Tripletail, Cobia, seatrout, and the ultra sought-after remora and lizardfish ?  Gotta love that crystal clear water of the Gulf.  After wearing out the bottom fish for a while, we stumbled on some floating debris and had an awesomely fun time pitching trout and redfish jigs to dolphin, triple tail and cobia.  Just an incredible site watching them attack the bait, and an incredible fight they put up on super-light inshore tackle.  Let’s just say the freezer is now well stocked!

My other favorite part of this trip is wading across the shallow flats of St Andrews State Park, and the trout were on fire!  I must have landed 25, mostly on the small side, but with a few keepers mixed in.  I also was fortunate enough to get a few visits from Mr. Redfish, and I love it when he stops by to make my ML Avid and 2500 Stradic sing.  I’ll keep saying it til I’m blue in the face – anyone on this site who has the opportunity and the means to do some inshore fishing especially in the SE and Gulf Coasts really owes it to themselves to give it a shot.  Now I will warn you that you will never look at a bass the same way after your first redfish, but that’s a price worth paying!

large.IMG_4135.JPG.75a5b71913ccafcf5d014large.IMG_4133.JPG.bcff96945fa414845fafclarge.IMG_4129.JPG.44bb2038d6e7ea2a3c03elarge.IMG_4100.JPG.a75a4996ef0827c51289flarge.IMG_4099.JPG.63eb6f7dcdee3ce25aa96large.IMG_4094.JPG.19a768216af44496fba35large.IMG_4087.JPG.d5f0695326fe8a68f3f0a

• Like 4

Sounds like a great trip. We were there Labor Day week and did not do as well as you. I took my own boat down so our captain wasn't too bright. We did catch a lot of trout from Capt Andersons to the NAS at the bridge. We also caught a lot of amberjacks and king mackerel off shore.

I love that area.

I've never had the chance to fish there, hoping that will change next year. I go there for the military hardware. :)

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

sounds like a great trip

went out the other day with a buddy

we landed 30 plus snooks about ten reds and too many trout to count

did pick up a 25 inch bull trout which was nice

my brother has a condo down there , i'm gonna have to go try that , great pics ,nice catch. thanks for the captains name ,looks like he treated you well!