Looking at getting a new casting rod and was wondering what the Abu Garica Veritas and Fenwick Elite tech bass were like. Do they run faster or slower, heavier or lighter then what they say etc.

Thanks

Wapsi Smallmouth

I fish rods from Bass pro Shops ( only 3 left in my arsenal), Dobyns, Powell, Irod, G Loomis and a few others. I do fish two Abu Garcia rods, including 1 Veritas ( I have fished 3 Veritas rods in the past) You will find that every rod brand rates them differently, but generally the Veritas lineup will fish a bit on the heavier side. I find the lure rating to be correct, but if it says it is a medium heavy 1/4 to 3/4 it will be more like a medium heavy/heavy. I find the Abu Garcia "Ike Series" rods are exactly what Ike says they are. I really like my Ike series jerkbait rod.

Lets start this over a bit.  What would you like your next rod to do best?  Are you an angler that fishes with just a couple of rods, or are you like many of us and we have an arsenal full. Are you looking for an all purpose rod?

If you are looking for an all purpose rod go look at this review. I fish one of these original series rods. Powell now offers the MAX3D version of the same rod. It is a very versatile rod.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowell683cxfast.html

I was looking for a cranking rod, and I get a good deal on pure fishing brands so I would prefer to stick within that company, but that does look like a great rod!

Veritas is commonly known for being on the heavier side of its power rating.  I would agree based solely on multiple trips to Cabelas.  Never actually fished with one though.