Loomis13

Better reel for pitching??

So I have a lews tournament pro (not G) and a Curado K on the way. Which reel would do you guys think would be better suited for pitching? Im not experienced in doing that stuff and it would be sparingly. But I feel like choosing the better reel for the application would make the learning curve easier. Perhaps they would be about the same, but I certainly don't know enough about reels for that application to know!

Any info would be appreciated!

Imo it doesn't take a super special reel for pitching. Something that palms well and has a fast-ish retrieve is what I look for. Being that the k is smaller than the previous curado I and the fact that lews are smaller reels in general either would probably be fine. I prefer a 7 or 8 speed reel for pitching.

Ideally you want the lightest spool for the job since pitching happens at lower speed then normal casting, and a lighter spool will start up easier with that lower inertia. Between those two reels I’m not sure which one will have any advantage in pitching, try them both and see what you prefer. Start your practicing with a 1/2 oz min weight, it will help you immensely to get the feel for the timing and motion to achieve a low trajectory pitch. 

I second the .5 ounce minimum weight to start. Then once you get better practice whatever you plan to pitch the most take that size weight plus 1/4 ounce and practice in the yard. The 1/4 ounce is used for weight of the soft plastic. My wife thought I was crazy when I was in the yard pitching a 3/4 ounce weight (i pitch 1/2 ounce jigs the most). She said there wasn't anyway a fish would bite that, it didn't even look like another fish or worm...I never told her any different lol

• Like 1

Whichever has the faster inches per turn of the reel.

To me any quality reel with a smooth drag that can be locked down, high speed, and mounted on a rod that balances is what you want. 

Mike

Another tip, if you want to get the most out of your reels for pitching it is especially helpful to have your spool bearings properly flushed and deep cleaned, then properly lubed with a quality lube. That’s going to increase your accuracy, help keep that low trajectory, and help your pitching distance. Having that done with my reels made the most notable improvements in my pitching game. 

Sounds like reel wont matter either way too much. Ill see how they feel on the rod and go from there. Also, thanks for the tips in helping me get started and trying to avoid some frustration!

My Kast King Royale Legend pitches really well... lightweight, super smooth, and very fast. And it was only $30 on ebay. I hear the Stealth is even better cause it is smaller and a bit lighter. I'll get one at some point, but first I need a better rod more suitable for pitching.

12 hours ago, FishDewd said:

My Kast King Royale Legend pitches really well... lightweight, super smooth, and very fast. And it was only $30 on ebay. I hear the Stealth is even better cause it is smaller and a bit lighter. I'll get one at some point, but first I need a better rod more suitable for pitching.

I had a Stealth. It was good for pitching. Pitching right into the garbage can the first day I used it.