PECo

NJ Saltwater Regulations - Clarification Needed

I understand that New Jersey does NOT require a license for recreational marine fishing, although it requires recreational marine fishermen to register on its Saltwater Registry every year at SaltwaterRegistry.nj.gov. I’ve registered, but need some clarification regarding New Jersey’s recreational marine fishing regulations.

I plan to fish for striped bass from the banks of the Passaic River in downtown Newark. Yes, I know that it’s a Superfund Site. And, no, I don’t intend to keep ANYTHING that I catch. Hopefully, that includes illnesses.

Attached is New Jersey’s 2017 Recreational Marine Fishing Regulations Summary Sheet:

sUBlYq.jpg

I know that the Passaic River in downtown Newark is tidal, but is it open to recreational fishing year-round? In other words, is it considered to be within three miles of the Atlantic Ocean or part of the “All other marine waters” that are closed in January and February every year?

From my understanding, that area would fall under “All other marine waters” which would open on March 1st. Call a local bait shop, they should be able to answer the question with more certainty.

Yuck! Good luck with the chemotherapy.

Well, March is here, so I gave it a shot, today. I wet a line from the fishing dock at the Frank A. Vincent Marina, across the river from Newark in Kearny.

wF53zx.jpg

BiFbuq.jpg

I threw a white four inch fluke on a 3/8 ounce jighead and a white two inch curly tail grub on a 1/8 ounce ball jighead for about an hour. There was no sign of life in the water, none at all, either animal OR plant. Go figure. :P

You should head up river and target pike!  The river is hard to fish from shore due to all the mud but there are a bunch of pike in it.

19 minutes ago, NJCatchRelease said:

You should head up river and target pike!  The river is hard to fish from shore due to all the mud but there are a bunch of pike in it.

How far upriver? I've been trying to stay in tidal water, because I didn't want to buy a freshwater fishing license.