For deep cranking (5XDs-10XDs), do you prefer a med-hvy, hvy or x-hvy as well as mod, mod fast or fast tip?

5 and 6xd's i use a 7'6 medium heavy moderate, graphite rod.

8 and 10xd's I use a 7'11 heavy moderate, glass rod.

There's a big difference in a 5 and 10xd

• Thanks 1

10 XD I use a 9 foot Lews David Fritts MH/MF.  It is listed as moderate online but labeled as mod fast and can handle 3 oz lures easy.  For 6xd and below I have been using a 7 foot medium moderate Pflueger Trion spinning rod.  Really great action on that rod.

Anything up to 6XD I use a MH. A 7'11" Halo Cranking rod is great. I generally don't use anything bigger than a 6XD, but I would bet a heavy model would be best for the biggest cranks.

I bought a Quantum Team KVD MH MF 7'4" from Cabelas last season because it was on sale for like $40.  I was kind of looking around for a rod I could use for deep cranking and for the price I figured I'd at least give it a try.  I wasn't expecting a lot out of it but it's actually become one of my favorite rods.  I fish mostly 5 and 6XD's on it and the length allows you to cast a mile and the tip is very sensitive and has enough give to get good hooksets down deep.  There are definitely better rods out there but at a list price of around $80 it's tough to beat.