shamanjp

Rod stiffness question M vs MH

I hope this isn't a silly question but here goes,

I have two rods from the same MFG. They are BPS Pro qualifier 2 baitcaster rods. One is a M and one is a MH both are fast action.

The M is stiffer than the MH. Same thing with my Lews, the ML topwater is stiffer than the MH spinnerbait rod. The Lews are different lengths but the Pro Qualifiers are both 7ft. I don't understand why the lighter action rods are stiffer than the heavier action rods and would love to know why and how that works. All these rods work really well, I bought the Pro Qualifier 2's because I wanted a couple 2 piece rods for my trunk and they are much better than expected. The Lews are better but cost more also. 

So why are the lighter action rods stiffer than the heavier action rods?

Are they really?  Hang the same amount of weight, like 8 oz, from each, and observe the deflection.  I think what you're observing is not a difference in power, but a difference in taper or speed.

This shouldn’t be the case at all. Like J Francho said test with weight. You also may be throwing heavier lures on one vs the other. Same rod and if they are both fast tip the mh should definitely be stiffer.

43 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Are they really?  Hang the same amount of weight, like 8 oz, from each, and observe the deflection.  I think what you're observing is not a difference in power, but a difference in taper or speed.

J Francho you are of course correct! The rod stiffness is deceiving when you feel it unweighted but the M bends more than the MH with equal weights attached. I expected a bigger difference considering the vastly different lure weight ratings and was also confused that the M was thicker at the base than the MH. Both cast really well in their suggested lure weight ratings. I'll have to read up on rod taper and wall thickness etc. to see how they achieve the power and action as I find it most interesting. Thanks for the help!