Jump to content
Quinner006

Fort Myers Peacock Bass Help

Recommended Posts

I am making a trip to visit family in the Fort Myers area at the end of this week and am going to be doing some fishing. I have always wanted to catch a peacock bass and is my number one objective when I go. I just wanted to check on where to fish in the area to target peacock bass and what lures/bait to use. I am considering buying a prop lure to take with me. 

 

Thanks for all the help in advanced!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in the West Palm Beach area and have caught Peacock bass several times, I always catch them on top water, I use a spook type lure, and there is usually a school of them so if you catch one you will probably catch a bunch. Peacock prefer warmer water and weather, I have not caught any since November in the lake I live on. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know there are no peacocks in Ft Myers. Need to go south.

 

Suggestion - Snook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your only chance on the West coast might be Naples. You’re better off making the two hour trip to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of anyone catching Peas that far north, especially on the west coast.  You will need to go south especially on the east coast.  They are as far north as West Palm but usually in waters that are deep.  Deep water doesn't fluctuate as much, and deep water gets a good supply of water from the aquifer which is a constant temperature.  This doesn't mean you need to fish deep, since Peas are often in the top of the water column, or mid range.  The further south you go the larger the numbers, and the bigger the Peas.  Remember that these fish were released by the state of Florida in Miami because of the large numbers of oscars and chichilids.  They were first released in Miami along the turnpike in some retention ponds with not outlets, just to study how they would effect the bass population.  Prop baits, Rapala #9 & 11 stickbaits in gold, and small spinnerbaits are good choices.  I have caught many on 4" senkos and zoom centipedes jerked fast in weedy situations, where trebles are out of the question.  You don't need to get up early, they love heat and the sun so mid day is often good.  If you find them on a nest they will defend it to the death, so keep passing threw and around the nest.  

I would research places in Miami, north to Fort Lauderdale.  Lake Osbourne and Lake Ida are good in West Palm because there are deep holes in those lakes.  Good luck!  Peas are a totally different experience then black bass.  They are a fish with a bad attitude when hooked.  Hook a big Peacock and you will know immediately its not a bass.  Fun to catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quinner006 said:

I am making a trip to visit family in the Fort Myers area at the end of this week and am going to be doing some fishing. I have always wanted to catch a peacock bass and is my number one objective when I go. I just wanted to check on where to fish in the area to target peacock bass and what lures/bait to use. I am considering buying a prop lure to take with me. 

 

Thanks for all the help in advanced!

Welcome to the forum @Quinner006. There are places you can catch peacock bass in SouthWest Florida but you will do better the more east you travel into South Florida. There is a good population of peacock bass on Tamiami trail and I have caught plenty of them there. That is a relatively short drive that can easily be one in 1 day from Fort Myers and you have a excellent chance of catching your first peacock bass there. There are also other exotic fish( mayan cichild, Oscar, spotted tilapia, etc) in that canal system so you should have a good time catching new species of fish.Good lures to use for peacock bass are poppers, spooks, propbaits, jerkbaits, crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc. Let me know if you need more help, I got +20 years experience catching peacock bass in South Florida and I catch trophy peacock bass every single year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soflabasser said:

Welcome to the forum @Quinner006. There are places you can catch peacock bass in SouthWest Florida but you will do better the more east you travel into South Florida. There is a good population of peacock bass on Tamiami trail and I have caught plenty of them there. That is a relatively short drive that can easily be one in 1 day from Fort Myers and you have a excellent chance of catching your first peacock bass there. There are also other exotic fish( mayan cichild, Oscar, spotted tilapia, etc) in that canal system so you should have a good time catching new species of fish.Good lures to use for peacock bass are poppers, spooks, propbaits, jerkbaits, crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc. Let me know if you need more help, I got +20 years experience catching peacock bass in South Florida and I catch trophy peacock bass every single year.

Where would you suggest as a location near Miami? Obviously the shorter drive the better (since I am in town visiting in laws). I’ve been wanting to catch a Pea since as long as I’ve known about them. I’m thinking about buying a prop lure to take down with me. Any suggestions on color?

 

Borboleta Jaraqui Floating Top Water Prop Bait, Hot Tiger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXQGPE8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qVNNAbJNPV5N4

 

This looks to be pretty large, I and going to bring some top water stuff with me but kind of want a nice prop bait. One prop or two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Delray Beach above Miami I hired guide last Oct and the Peacocks were hitting War Eagle dbl willow blades and 110 jerkbaits, we could not get to hit on jigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quinner006 said:

Where would you suggest as a location near Miami? Obviously the shorter drive the better (since I am in town visiting in laws). I’ve been wanting to catch a Pea since as long as I’ve known about them. I’m thinking about buying a prop lure to take down with me. Any suggestions on color?

 

Borboleta Jaraqui Floating Top Water Prop Bait, Hot Tiger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXQGPE8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qVNNAbJNPV5N4

 

This looks to be pretty large, I and going to bring some top water stuff with me but kind of want a nice prop bait. One prop or two?

I suggest jerkbaits for blind casting, jigs or dropshot for sight fishing beds. A prop bait will work but if you have one day to fish, stick with something that’s going to produce more numbers. Color doesn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Quinner006 said:

Where would you suggest as a location near Miami? Obviously the shorter drive the better (since I am in town visiting in laws). I’ve been wanting to catch a Pea since as long as I’ve known about them. I’m thinking about buying a prop lure to take down with me. Any suggestions on color?

 

Borboleta Jaraqui Floating Top Water Prop Bait, Hot Tiger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NXQGPE8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qVNNAbJNPV5N4

 

This looks to be pretty large, I and going to bring some top water stuff with me but kind of want a nice prop bait. One prop or two?

 

Almost every canal and lake system in the Miami area is loaded with peacock bass so you should have a good time if you fish there. The Blue Lagoon area can be fished from land and many people catch +5 pounders from land there. Hiring a guide is not needed for peacock bass, they are everywhere and are easy to catch, just like most smallmouth and largemouth bass. The exceptions is catching a trophy peacock bass (+5 pounds is what I consider a trophy peacock bass in South Florida, and anything over 18 inches is a big one) or fishing for peacock bass when the water temperatures drop to the low 60's, and even then you still can catch a big peacock bass when its cold (have done it several times).As for prop baits, they are good lures for peacock bass when they are actively feeding or getting a reaction bite of them when the conditions are right. I like using the heddon tiny torpedo for peacock bass when they are chasing baitfish near the surface and I use 8 pound test mono for it. As for color, anything will work as long as you present the lure well. Make sure to have a good, smooth drag system in your reel since peacock bass are much stronger pound for pound than a largemouth or smallmouth bass of equal size. Even a river smallmouth bass of equal size cannot compare pound for pound to a healthy peacock bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tropical park in Miami is where i caught my first one on a Rapala skitter pop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×