LEWITH

Abu Garcia Black Max

Hey guys, I have a Abu Garcia Black Max that just sits around its a 6.4:1 ratio.  I was curious if that ratio would be ok for deep cranking prob in the 15-25 ft depth range.  It would be used exclusively for cranking with a MH crank rod.  I dont crank much so i wanted to use a reel I already have to save money.  Or should I look to get a slower 5 speed reel?

Thanks

LEW

It would work, I have that reel but use it for plastics.  

Regarding deep diving cranks, I would think you'd want a higher gear ratio to get the bait down with less effort. 

But, I don't use deep divers very much.

2 hours ago, TylerT123 said:

A slower gear ratio would work better, it has more torque for the deep cranks. A higher gear ratio wouldn’t work. I think you’d be fine though.

That makes sense.

It's funny i've heard both, you want a faster one and than I've heard you want a slower one.  I don't really fish deep diving crankbaits but I'm sure youd be fine considering its right in the middle.  Good Luck!

1 hour ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

It's funny i've heard both, you want a faster one and than I've heard you want a slower one.  I don't really fish deep diving crankbaits but I'm sure youd be fine considering its right in the middle.  Good Luck!

Faster reels get the crankbait down to the strike zone faster but you won’t get the maximum depth out of them

3 minutes ago, TylerT123 said:

Faster reels get the crankbait down to the strike zone faster but you won’t get the maximum depth out of them

Ok that makes sense