Jump to content
Gus Heinze

what reel should I buy if any to fill in a gap?

Recommended Posts

I come from golf where I bought wedges to fill gaps in my golf game yardages. I'm slowly learning about bass fishing and have a few tools in my "tool box".

 

Currently I have:

 

Bait-casting:

 

Frog setup: 7'0" MH lure weight 1/4-1&1/4oz. 8.0:1 reel (not sure on the rod "action").

Worms & Jig setup: 7'0" MH 1/4-7/8oz Fast action rod.  6.4:1 reel.

Crankbait setup: 6'10" M 3/16-5/8oz Fast action rod. 5.4:1 reel.

 

Spinning:

I mainly use this for live bait: worms, minnows, etc...

 

6'6" M 1/4-5/8oz with a 5.0:1 reel.

 

 

 

I also have (not sure what/how to set these up): The worst case is these are back-ups and something my kids can grown into once they're old enough for a bait-caster.

 

6'6" MH 3/8-1oz Fast Action with a 6.4:1 reel. Maybe a backup or 2nd setup for worms & jig??

7'1" MH 1/4-7/8oz Fast Action with 7.3:1. Maybe a good one to add since it fills the gap I have from 6.4:1-8.0:1??

7'0" MH 1/2-1oz (not sure on action) no reel, NEED A SUGGESTION?

 

Since I have some reels and rods left over do y'all suggest a mixture of fluorocarbon and braid? Currently I'm running brain on all my reels.

 

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/help.

 

Gus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on price range, I'd say $200 or less for the reel. I'm kinda partial to Lew's. I like the 2 Super Duty I have, I like how the spool tension knob clicks, not that it makes that big of difference but I like it , seems more fine tuned.

 

Out of the one listed above, I have 3 Lew's, 1 Bass Pro and one Tatula CT 100HS. The Lew's fit my smaller hands nicely. the Tatula seems to cast smoothly but feels slightly larger than the Lew's. The Bass Pro is also a good one, was my first seems slightly less refined and harder to dial-in to prevent "professional over-run"....black-lash LOL

 

What do you mean by "finesse setup"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frog setup, go to a 9.3:1 Speed Demon. I am partial to 6.x:1 for cranks. For my spinning tackle, I like 6:1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

Frog setup, go to a 9.3:1 Speed Demon. I am partial to 6.x:1 for cranks. For my spinning tackle, I like 6:1. 

Wow that's fast no? I thought 8.0:1 would suffice for my Frog setup. Do you have rod you like for the 9.3:1?

 

I'm sure the Pros and experienced can tell a difference but I'm thinking at this stage I don't know if I can see/tell/feel a difference between 6.3:1, 6.4:1, 6.8:1 seems like splitting hairs. Similar to my Tatula that is 7.3:1 I seriously doubt I could tell a difference between that an a 7.0:1. I'm thinking I could tell a difference between the 8.0:1 and the 5.4:1 the rest maybe not so much.

 

I was more thinking of getting different reels or reel/rod setups based on the lure weights to give me more variety, maybe have like a light and heavy crankbait setup, or a light and heavy worm setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming all things are equal in quality the 7,1 setup would be for jigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Assuming all things are equal in quality the 7,1 setup would be for jigs.

Thank you, it's a good one, Tatula CT 100HS, on a Tatula rod. I like it, so far Lew's just fits slightly better in my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gus Heinze said:

Thank you, it's a good one, Tatula CT 100HS, on a Tatula rod. I like it, so far Lew's just fits slightly better in my hands.

Replied to your other post I would run 15 or 17 on this rod for summer jig fishing.  It should double well as a small swim bait rod for 4" trash fish and bastrix style minnows.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Replied to your other post I would run 15 or 17 on this rod for summer jig fishing.  It should double well as a small swim bait rod for 4" trash fish and bastrix style minnows.  

That went straight over my head, what do you mean by 15 or 17? Sorry newbie here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lb test.  I am partial to sunline sniper or pine 100% if you want fluorocarbon.  15 lb yhb is also a good choice.  Yhb=you zuri hybrid.  Yhb will be a lot cheaper and cast easier.  Good flouro is trash if you backlash.

Edited by Angry John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Lb test.  I am partial to sunline sniper or pine 100% if you want fluorocarbon.  15 lb yhb is also a good choice.

Ah ok, thank you sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finesse setup would be a combo for lighter fishing, drop shot, Ned rig, small plastics. At $200, get a Curado K, wayyy better than a Lew’s at that price point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reread and foundo you have a 610 medium.

Edited by Angry John
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gus Heinze said:

Wow that's fast no? I thought 8.0:1 would suffice for my Frog setup. Do you have rod you like for the 9.3:1?

 

I'm sure the Pros and experienced can tell a difference but I'm thinking at this stage I don't know if I can see/tell/feel a difference between 6.3:1, 6.4:1, 6.8:1 seems like splitting hairs. Similar to my Tatula that is 7.3:1 I seriously doubt I could tell a difference between that an a 7.0:1. I'm thinking I could tell a difference between the 8.0:1 and the 5.4:1 the rest maybe not so much.

 

I was more thinking of getting different reels or reel/rod setups based on the lure weights to give me more variety, maybe have like a light and heavy crankbait setup, or a light and heavy worm setup.

I'm planning to pair one with a 7'3" MHF or HF. I haven't decided.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×