pagoda

Mid sized BFS ish rig help

This year I have moved from flyfishing / Tenkara to adding some light baitcasting gear. Mainly rivers and ponds. Bass / panfish

I started with a Trout One NS B50UL  1/32-1/14 with a Conquest BFS from finesse-fishing.com. I got my tenkara gear them and Chris is a fantastic guy providing a solid product line and customer service.

So now that I have looked over the edge of the rabbit hole I'm looking to build something one step up in size from this rod. I am guessing 1/4-1/2+ for some smallmouth fishing in Central Ohio Id like to throw small Senkos, Small Neds grubs ect and some lighter topwater. 

Reel: I am crazy for the Conquest so I may get another one of those. Just need to close my eyes when I click the Buy Now button...

Rod: I have no idea what to go with but I'd like to stay under 300, I tend to like shorter rods. 2 piece would be cool but not a must. I sometimes do "bike fishing" as some of or rivers are lined by a bike path. I also canoe kayak fish.

I was going to just get the Cardiff NX B64L as finesse-fishing.com has them but figured my options might be expanding with a "bigger" BFS setup than my first.

Thanks in advance!

I would look at the Loomis cr721c IMX.  It is a 6' L/F rated rod, but to me feels like a "Light-Medium Light" or a "Heavy-Light", if you get my meaning.  It is rated 3/16-1/2, but will go a little lighter.  I bought one last year and it never clicked for me, but everyone one else on earth seems to love them.  

I have also been on the hunt for a short Light power BFS rod, but have not found much.  Megabass has a few rods that look like they would work in the $300-400 range, but I have never found much info on them.  I picked up an XXX Black Themis a few weeks ago and while it is a bit long at 6'7", it's seems to have the power and action I am looking for. 

Yea, the Megabass offerings look deep and the reviews are scattered. I keep seeing people talk about a rod then find out its an older model. I will look at that IMX.

Was also wondering about St Croix... the premier line or the tidemaster inshore?

I have a St Croix Legend Inshore Extra-Light/Mod 6'6" casting rod that I picked up this winter.  It's maybe the best 1/16-1/8 Inline Spinner rod I have ever used. The tip is crazy soft but the backbone is up there with the Black Themis or a Phenix Recon2 L/F.  I think the Legend Inshore is discontinued, but there might be a compairalbe rod in one of their other lines. 

Like I said, the cr721 is pretty universally loved, it just never clicked for me.  It really sounds exactly like what you are looking for. I wanna say there is a GLX version of it on eBay at the moment.  

7 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

I picked up an XXX Black Themis a few weeks ago and while it is a bit long at 6'7", it's seems to have the power and action I am looking for. 

I was going to suggest a Black Themis with an Aldebaran

1/4 - 1/2oz+ is typical bass gear. MH rod will fit the bill. Nothing really bfs ish about those weights. Megabass Hyuga series offers some 2pc rods. 

I could be completely off-base and this rod may well be terrible for other's opinions, but... I like the ml carbonlite I picked up from the BPS spring sale not long ago. It's low cost and works well for neds and weightless plastics I throw. Downside: idk if they make longer than 6'6" for it. It's my shortest BC rod. I would love a 7'. A 7' version of it would be a killer.

Met MGL, Chronarch MGL, Aldebaran 50 and Curado 70 would fit your needs.  Daiwa Pixys, Alphas and Steez reels SV or otherwise would be excellent as well.

Personally, I use Pixy Silver Mica with a Pixy Airy Red spool on a Majorcraft Volley 682L as my ned rig setup and for other very small jigs and plastics.  I also use an Alphas SV on a Steez Skyray ML to skip little jigs, flick shakes and small senkos.  For 1/2 oz baits I go one to two powers higher and fish M or MH rods.  

If you could give us greater detail on the baits you intend to throw and their weights then that would be more useful.

• Like 1

For small mouth in the rivers I throw the same baits (senkos, ned, grubs) on either an NRX 852C or KLX finesse jig, worm rod. The Kistler Helium 3 in medium power would be a great choice in your price range. If you want a 2 piece you could look at major craft. I used to have the loomis imx cr721 which is a 6' rod and that was fun with those baits as well. You can't go wrong with a conquest bfs or aldebaran bfs. I use a pixy and steez with bfs spools.