Cak920

Lews tp-1 microwave guides? New rod suggestion

So I’m looking to get another casting rod and I think I have it narrowed down to either a Dobyn Fury that I’ve heard good things about or the lews tp-1 which I’ve also heard good things about. Has anyone tried the lews with that guide system? And I’m looking for something strong enough to pull a bass out of weeds but I wanna be able to throw Senkos with it. I looked at the heavy models but I don’t how well they will throw plastics.

The real benefit to the MicroWave guides is on a spinning rod.  In that situation they have shown to be a real good choice, less so on a baitcaster. I am not saying they are bad just not as needed. I fish a bunch of higher end Dobyns and like them a lot, but my friend fishes 5 Fury rods and likes them equally well.  I do not think there is a bad decision here.  If it were me and my intended purpose was fishing heavy vegetation I would go with the Fury. Of course one of my Dobyns is a Champ series 705C I use for frogging heavy vegetation, so I may be a bit of a homer here.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

The real benefit to the MicroWave guides is on a spinning rod.  In that situation they have shown to be a real good choice, less so on a baitcaster. I am not saying they are bad just not as needed. I fish a bunch of higher end Dobyns and like them a lot, but my friend fishes 5 Fury rods and likes them equally well.  I do not think there is a bad decision here.  If it were me and my intended purpose was fishing heavy vegetation I would go with the Fury. Of course one of my Dobyns is a Champ series 705C I use for frogging heavy vegetation, so I may be a bit of a homer here.

Do you think a heavy dobyn will cast a Senko? According to their website the rods they have intended for senkos listed are med and med/heavy or how confident would you be fishing Dobyns med/heavy around cover

Here is where you go to the experts. Give Dobyns Rods a call. Both Gary and his son Richard answer calls personally. They know more than anyone. I have to be honest I fish Sencos on spinning gear mostly, so I have never tried to do it.

• Like 1

Actually after another look Dobyn fury does have a 7’3 heavy model for senkos. Might be perfect 

The tp-1 line of rods run a bit heavier than most other manufacturers. I have 3 of them 2 7ft mh and 1 7'3 heavy. Although I could throw a senko with the heavy, it is too much stick for it. But the mh would be a good choice for this. I've had a few 7Lb large mouth wrap me around stick ups while pitching plastics with the 7' mh and I did not feel underpowered by any means. I open water frog with one of them. Either dobyn or lews is a solid choice.