This happened to a friend of mine on Saturday. Fortunately, he and his tournament partner were picked up by another boat, and nobody was injured.

20180416_104718.png

• Sad 2

@S. Doolittle:shocked2: You gotta tell us what happened. Is your friend all right? Did he hit something? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gundog said:

@S. Doolittle:shocked2: You gotta tell us what happened. Is your friend all right? Did he hit something? 

Yes, exactly!  Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

He took a wave over the front of the boat which knocked him back and engaged the kill switch. Before he could reattach the kill switch, the boat turned and started taking on water over the back. I guess it happened really fast.

It was on Oologah Lake which is pretty much universally thought of as the most dangerous lake in our area. It's a wide, north/south running lake, and when there is a strong north wind, it can be absolutely brutal. We had 20-30 mph winds on Saturday. I've moved around a lot in my life, but I've always considered Oologah to be my home lake. I couldn't tell you how many boats have sunk in that lake.  

2 fishermen drowned on the Potomac yesterday.  Swamped and capsized a 15 foot glass bassboat.  Sad news.

• Sad 1

You always need to be careful - but especially so this time of year in the northern part of the country.  It's been a long winter and everyone wants to get out on the water. The winds and the cold water temperature can turn things bad real fast.

Last week on Oneida Lake a young guy was fishing out of his kayak.  No PFD and extremely cold water when he capsized.  Rescue crews got to him quickly, but not fast enough.  25 years old and left behind a young son. Very sad.

Wear a PFD and consider the conditions - wind and water temperature.  If the winds are favorable and you choose to go out - fish close to shore and with a buddy who can help you.  Fishing is supposed to be fun, don't take chances in bad conditions; there will be plenty of better chances ahead when warmer weather gets here.  It will get here.

• Like 2

Be safe out there the goal is to make it home at the end of the day.

glad to hear they are ok. the boat is at the bottom of the lake or did they save it?

On 4/18/2018 at 7:43 PM, OhheyCindy said:

glad to hear they are ok. the boat is at the bottom of the lake or did they save it?

They recovered the boat the following day, but it was totalled.