jchez444

Dobyns sierra vs Tatula elite

I have a Sierra and two regular Tatulas, and can provide some input on that. The guides are fairly similar, the reel seat is better on the Daiwa and while one of my Tatulas has the same line and lure ratings as the Dobyns (and are generally used for similar lures), the Dobyns certainly has more tip to it, as the Daiwa has a fairly light tip which is fairly standard for their more expensive rods. The Daiwa may win for detecting finicky bites, but the Dobyns wins at pulling a fish out of grass with a heavy jig.

Probably not a huge help.

11 hours ago, Boomstick said:

I have a Sierra and two regular Tatulas, and can provide some input on that. The guides are fairly similar, the reel seat is better on the Daiwa and while one of my Tatulas has the same line and lure ratings as the Dobyns (and are generally used for similar lures), the Dobyns certainly has more tip to it, as the Daiwa has a fairly light tip which is fairly standard for their more expensive rods. The Daiwa may win for detecting finicky bites, but the Dobyns wins at pulling a fish out of grass with a heavy jig.

Probably not a huge help.

just wondering when you said light tip for the daiwa rods does that mean faster action? I am actually looking at the 7'2" Tatula H vs the 735C Sierra as a combo rod for heavier stuff, but I enjoy frogging so much that I want to make sure there is a nice softer tip to fling/work frogs around haha

I have the 7’2 H for my heavy jigs. It’s a faster action, but for pulling fish out of cover it does an amazing job. I work frogs on my very easily

8 hours ago, raoka said:

just wondering when you said light tip for the daiwa rods does that mean faster action? I am actually looking at the 7'2" Tatula H vs the 735C Sierra as a combo rod for heavier stuff, but I enjoy frogging so much that I want to make sure there is a nice softer tip to fling/work frogs around haha

The tip is very thin. For example, you can buy the sets of three sizes of replacement tips, and they're all too fat for the Daiwa tips. Overall, it doesn't have much effect on the action and with lighter lures, they feel about the same. But if you get into heavier lures, the Tatula is much less ideal for lures over 3/4oz where it's rated up to 1oz, where the Sierra 704C should have no trouble handling it's max 1oz lure capacity. The advantage of the Daiwa tip is it offers quicker reaction when you get a bite. It still has enough power to fish frogs in moderate weeds. It's a tough decision between the two rods overall, but I give the edge to Daiwa simply based on price.

Now, I wouldn't be too worried about the 7'2" H/F Tatula not having the backbone unless you're trying to throw a Huddleston on it. Typically, Daiwa's do tend to run a little stronger than rated.

8 hours ago, SMITTY0045 said:

I have the 7’2 H for my heavy jigs. It’s a faster action, but for pulling fish out of cover it does an amazing job. I work frogs on my very easily

I was going to pick up the 7'4" frogging rod for frogs and jigs, but I gather it's a little too stiff to throw frogs very far, so I'm considering the slightly lighter 7'2" H/F rod as well. Sound like you'd recommend the 7'2"? (also while I'm pretty sure 7'4" will fit in my car, it may not fit on my rod rack).

3 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

The tip is very thin. For example, you can buy the sets of three sizes of replacement tips, and they're all too fat for the Daiwa tips. Overall, it doesn't have much effect on the action and with lighter lures, they feel about the same. But if you get into heavier lures, the Tatula is much less ideal for lures over 3/4oz where it's rated up to 1oz, where the Sierra 704C should have no trouble handling it's max 1oz lure capacity.

Now, I wouldn't be too worried about the 7'2" Tatula being on the shy for things like frogging and jigging. Daiwa's rods usually run on the stiffer side and have plenty of backbone to them.

I was going to pick up the 7'4" frogging rod for frogs and jigs, but I gather it's a little too stiff to throw frogs very far, so I'm also interested in the 7'2" H/F rod as well.

do u think the dobyns has a softer tip? i have a 7'6" tatula H that has a relatively stiff tip that can work a frog, but is not ideal

3 minutes ago, raoka said:

do u think the dobyns has a softer tip? i have a 7'6" tatula H that has a relatively stiff tip that can work a frog, but is not ideal

I'm not familiar with those models specifically, but I always hear the Tatula heavy rods have a lot of tip to them, no idea about the Dobyns. I would wager that they're both good rods though from my experience with both companies.