alfakilo

Spin Cast Casting Problem

I have several closed face spin cast reels and they all seem to have the same occasional problem. Sometimes when casting, the line 'locks up' but usually on the next cast, the problem goes away. Same casting technique, etc. Can't figure out why these reels do this. Any ideas?

Sticky pickup pin, or a tangle on the spool from reeling loose line.

• Like 2

I'll keep those in mind, but I'm not sure they will answer the problem. I have a Zebco Delta, Daiwa GC100, and Pflueger Cetina and this casting jam seems to happen to each of them every now and then. I am not inadvertently depressing the trigger button during the cast. The problem typically happens after a routine cast and retrieval where I do not suspect loose line. It is almost as if this is a non-fixable problem that happens regardless of reel type, casting technique, or anything else and is due to the spincast design.

Is there enough line on the spool? I've had similar issues with them years ago running just enough line to cast. Clean it, oil it, make sure it's got the recommended capacity on it. 

Only thing I can think of is to take the cover off when it happens to see what the line is stuck on... could be wind knots from line twist. Best bet would he to pop the cover off and look when it happens. 

I'll have to take a look next time. I suspect that the pickup pins are extending before they are supposed to.