clh121787

Ultra deep cranking rod for big jigs. Does it work? Kind of

The experiment: using my biggest cranking rod to see how I like them for big jigs.

The gear: dobyns 806 cb, shimano met mgl xg, 20 tatsu, 3/4 oz football jig.

Pros: long rod, takes up alot of line on hookset, parabolic bend all the way to the handle, keeps them pinned. Just enough back bone for solid hooksets. Casting distance!

Cons: sensitivity isn't great. Although good. Tip a little soft for my liking, back bone way mushy then I'm used to in a jig rod. (Hence crankbait rod doing what it's designed to do. 

Conclusion: it was a fun experience didnt lose any fish and it would work in a pinch. I've been on a good jig bite all year. And wanted to have a little fun today. Ended up landing a nice 7 pounder. But I think I'll stick to the real jig rods. Would love to post pics but files are to large. Anyone else ever try this?

Thanks for sharing! The tactical bassin guys talk about using big jigs with a more parabolic rod. I understand the concept, I too have tried it, but quickly returned to my standard jig rods. I have a nice parabolic 2 pc casting rod I use for cranks. Last weekend I brought it with me camping, fishing from shore. I ended up landing a 4.5 on a senko, in the pads, thank goodness I had braid on.

• Like 1