Jump to content
E-DOG

Line spools slightly uneven.

Recommended Posts

Hey all, I have recently noticed that my reel (Curado K) is spooling line on a tad bit uneven. the reel is spooling on more line on the left side of the spool. not sure what is causing this problem. I tried taking it to the park and walking back until no line is left on the spool and reeli ng it back in but had no success. could it be my mono backing connection knot? or is something possibly wrong with the reel. I haven't fished it a whole lot since I got it so maybe that helps find a conclusion. any answers are greatly appreciated.  also could this hinder casting difference or is it simply a cosmetic thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming no flaw in parts, try to recall if you spooled line in direct alignment with the spool of line. I noticed if I put on line with my rod and reel at an angle to either side, line might bunch up on one side. The more extreme the angle during spoiling the more pronounced the effect.

 

this is just my experience and it might not be your case. It can even happen to me while fish when max/mega casts are used and you’re retrieving at an extreme angle relative to the line. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to set spool tension not too loose, no to little side to side play. When spooling, was the reel on a rod? I can see a problem when spooling with just reel in your hand, your fingers that hold the line tight might be on either left or right side thus make the line spool uneven. 

I normally move my finger corresponding to line guide (benefit of fishing with conventional reel for quite awhile lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JustJames said:

Make sure to set spool tension not too loose, no to little side to side play. When spooling, was the reel on a rod? I can see a problem when spooling with just reel in your hand, your fingers that hold the line tight might be on either left or right side thus make the line spool uneven. 

I normally move my finger corresponding to line guide (benefit of fishing with conventional reel for quite awhile lol)

reel was on a rod and I didn't use my finger. I'm not sure what's going wrong, could it be my backing to braid knot messing up the spool balance? I used a blood knot to tie mono to braid. which I'm  not sure that's what it's for but I can switch and retie a better knot. also I have a lot of backing. about half the spool, maybe should I get some new braid and backing and respool my reel completely? what do tall think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other side of the spool is filled to the brim

15354655940531011590703.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my buddies reel wasn't feeding correctly/evenly on the spool, it was because the gear that drives the level wind (or an associated part) was broken.  

 

Upon looking at the pic, I doubt that's the problem.  I scarcely see a problem, actually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E-DOG said:

reel was on a rod and I didn't use my finger. I'm not sure what's going wrong, could it be my backing to braid knot messing up the spool balance? I used a blood knot to tie mono to braid. which I'm  not sure that's what it's for but I can switch and retie a better knot. also I have a lot of backing. about half the spool, maybe should I get some new braid and backing and respool my reel completely? what do tall think?

First of all blood knot is not recommended for mono to braid, it might be fine for backing but never for leader. Second of all what size (dia.) your mono backing and your braid?

You might not need to buy a new line, it depends on how much your braid line is in there. Try bomb cast as far as you could with 1/2 oz bullet weight if you still have plenty of line left (at least 10-15 yds) you should be fine. While you at in, strip more line out as much as possible, now reel the line it make sure to use your finger to hold the line firm but not too tight.

(from your pic I saw that small bump on the way left, it looks like your knot causing this bump. If spool or any mechanic problem it should be slope from one side higher than other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustJames said:

First of all blood knot is not recommended for mono to braid, it might be fine for backing but never for leader. Second of all what size (dia.) your mono backing and your braid?

You might not need to buy a new line, it depends on how much your braid line is in there. Try bomb cast as far as you could with 1/2 oz bullet weight if you still have plenty of line left (at least 10-15 yds) you should be fine. While you at in, strip more line out as much as possible, now reel the line it make sure to use your finger to hold the line firm but not too tight.

(from your pic I saw that small bump on the way left, it looks like your knot causing this bump. If spool or any mechanic problem it should be slope from one side higher than other. 

I have 14 lb stren mono to 40 lb pwrpro. I took the reel out with a rod to the ball park and tied line to the tree and respooled the line on after I walked it all off of the spool. I think it is my connection knot causing problems because my worm gear is smooth. could my pawl possibly be loose? it's a little wiggly and I'm not sure if that is normal. I'm thinking of just buying straight power pro. and then spooling it on with no backing. if I tie through the wiffles on the spool will the line slip or will it be fine?

2 hours ago, Ratherbfishing said:

When my buddies reel wasn't feeding correctly/evenly on the spool, it was because the gear that drives the level wind (or an associated part) was broken.  

 

Upon looking at the pic, I doubt that's the problem.  I scarcely see a problem, actually.  

yeah it's not the worm gear. I've had this reel since christmas. I think my knot is causing the bump and uneven spool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the exact same issue as you. I just fished with it and over time it worked itself out. Only noticed when spooling new line.

 

Also some good info regarding the same topic here so it must be an issue.

 

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/208213-issues-with-new-curado-k/

 

 

uneven_spool.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vincent_Diesel said:

I had the exact same issue as you. I just fished with it and over time it worked itself out. Only noticed when spooling new line.

 

Also some good info regarding the same topic here so it must be an issue.

 

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/208213-issues-with-new-curado-k/

 

 

uneven_spool.jpg

Unlikely an issue with the reel. More than likely its the way you are spooling the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×