GeekFisher

Soft/hard Jerkbaits/spybait spinning setup

I'm about to make the move to mainly throw weightless soft jerkbaits. I was looking into these lenghts (6' to 6'8) but can hardly justify the Avid price for their 6'2"/6'3" rods.

I might go the Bass X or Mojo Bass route for a 6'8" XF or a cheaper Triumph or Fenwick HMG in 6'0" Medium/Fast. I'm fishing out of a kayak, sitting most of the time. I think shorter rods might penalize me a bit on casting distance but give me some gain in accuracy. I am unsure about the XF vs F impact on all of this to be honest. I would also like to throw hard jerkbaits and spybaits if that makes sense. I would like to know about what you feel the difference is between both of your rods (6'2" vs 6'8") @J Francho, experience wise ? I have an orphan KK Speed Demon spinning reel that I could use but it's an heavy reel, might try to figure out something lighter like a Cabelas Prodigy (6ish oz)

PS. I read quite a bunch of topics:

15 hours ago, GeekFisher said:

I would like to know about what you feel the difference is between both of your rods (6'2" vs 6'8") @J Francho, experience wise ?

I throw spy baits on a spinning rig - AVS63MLXF or AVS63MXF, because I can get better distance with spinning gear.  For jerks, poppers and spooks, the difference is that the longer rod doesn't allow me to use a pure down twitch.  XF is a must for fast recovery after the twitch.  Slower rods just wobble, and slow down bite detection on the pause.  The Medium and Medium-Light power aren't so stiff that you lose any steady pressure on treble hooked baits.  The 6-2 has a shorter rear grip, making the part in front of the reel about an inch shorter than a 6-6 model.  The shorter grip stays out of the way when making twitches.  Here's the 6-2 in action:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply @J Francho. I will not be able to Twitch it straight down anyway but a shorter handle is nice to have especially on a kayak since I always wear my PFD and its bulky. That being said I'm use to 7' rods on the yak so not much of a big deal !

I saw some Sail stores that might have the AVS63MXF stock but that rod is 100$ over budget at 235$ CAD. I can find a Bass X 6'8" MXF for 130-135 and a Mojo Bass 6'8" MXF for 150$ which stretch the budget a bit but not too bad. So I wonder what of a compromise would that 5 extra inches be ? I really wish to hold them before buying as I have a love-hate relationship with St.Croix products... Most store carrying it are over 1h30 away from home 😢

• Like 1

I've got a few dozen St. Croix rods, mostly Avids, Legends, and a few Eyecon, and a Wild River.  Some are close to 20 years old, and I am very happy with them.  Their customer support is great.  They even rebuilt a handle and reel seat on one for me.  Only cost me $60.  In fact, that rod is in the video.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I've got a few dozen St. Croix rods, mostly Avids, Legends, and a few Eyecon, and a Wild River.  Some are close to 20 years old, and I am very happy with them.  Their customer support is great.  They even rebuilt a handle and reel seat on one for me.  Only cost me $60.  In fact, that rod is in the video.

The love-hate is uniquely towards the models. I have 2 Mojo Bass, one I love and one I hate. I also have a Bass X which I feel is OK, not less not more ! I handled the Mojo 6'8" MXF and was pleased with it, but since it was in store, I did not put a reel on it, didn't cast etc...

I have a couple of AVC70MHF that can be really picky about what reel you put on it.  Wrong reel, and it feels clunky.  Right reel, and it's an all day multi purpose stick.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, J Francho said:

I have a couple of AVC70MHF that can be really picky about what reel you put on it.  Wrong reel, and it feels clunky.  Right reel, and it's an all day multi purpose stick.

The Mojo I hate so bad is a 7'1" M/F spinning. Paired with a Sahara 2500FE spooled with 20lbs Tuf-Line braid. I tried it with Northland Fatty tubes (2.75) with 1/4" head and line wasn't coming nicely through guides. I tried with a 3.5" Coffee tube (which weight a little more) and it was nicer, this then fits the common statement that the St.Croix are on the stouter side of a given power. Also, I was at the store Saturday in Ottawa and they had the Avid 6'3" MXF stock and this is a really nice rod. I had to fight with bait monkey for a while to not take it home.