the reel ess

AR-15 Hunting Scope

Does anyone here hunt with an AR-15? Can you recommend a good scope? My rifle is the run-of-the-mill mil-spec Palmetto State Armory 16", 7:1 twist. Everything (hogs, coyotes and maybe whitetail) would be within 100 yds. I'm guessing a 3-9 scope would get the job done??? I don't want to pay more for the scope than I did the rifle. Thanks.

Nikon pro staff 3X9 has a good eye relief and decent optics. It sells on Amazon for $120.00 TO $200.00. Depending on which model you buy.

I have one on my 300 blackout AR. It is generally a 100yard or less gun.

I also have one on a 6.5 Grendel AR. I shoot it out to 300 yards.

• Like 1

Thanks

Personally, I would go with a 1x4.  That's more than enough scope for anything within a couple hundred yards.  Not sure how much hunting you do in thicker stands of trees or areas with a lot of under growth but if you do, you will find it very hard to find your target at close range, even with it turned back to 3X. 

I mostly use a Model 7, 260 for close range deer hunting and have a 1x4x24 on it and while I don't use my AR for hunting I also have a Nikon 1x4x20 on it.  If I'm going to be hunting I open areas, I have a custom Remington 260 with 3x15, that's easily good for 500 yards. 

I don't consider a 223 an ethical caliber for most people to be trying to kill deer beyond 200 yards anyway.  Now, by no means am I saying it won't easily kill a deer beyond that with a well place bullet.  It's just most I've run into can't make a well placed shot. 

If you live in a state they will ship to, here's a great deal on the scope I would use https://www.natchezss.com/refurbished-nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-1-4x20mm-bdc-600-reticle.html

• Like 1

Big fan of vortex scopes. 1x4 would be suitable amd help with moving targets. 

• Like 1

@Way2slow is spot on!

I don't consider a 223 an ethical caliber for most people to be trying to kill deer beyond 200 yards anyway.  Now, by no means am I saying it won't easily kill a deer beyond that with a well place bullet.  It's just most I've run into can't make a well placed shot. 

......There are better tools for the job

1 hour ago, NHBull said:

@Way2slow is spot on!

I don't consider a 223 an ethical caliber for most people to be trying to kill deer beyond 200 yards anyway.  Now, by no means am I saying it won't easily kill a deer beyond that with a well place bullet.  It's just most I've run into can't make a well placed shot. 

......There are better tools for the job

I don't intend to hunt deer beyond 200 yds. I did say most shots would be within 100. But this is actually the best tool I own. Honestly, hogs are the most likely game, but there are deer. I'd just like a more accurate rifle.

13 minutes ago, the reel ess said:

I don't intend to hunt deer beyond 200 yds. I did say most shots would be within 100. 

one good thing is you have the 1 in 7 twist, so it should stabilize the heavier 77 grain hunting bullets.

You can use the lower power scopes, I used to hunt with a 1X4X20 scope. my old eyes prefer the 3X9X40

I have never had a problem finding a deer with my scopes set at 3X.  Shot a doe at 10 yards at 3X with a muzzleloader.

I suggest going to a sporting goods store and looking through a few scopes. Some of the 20mm low power scopes have a small field of view.

• Like 1

If you are absolute you won't be taking shots past 100 yards then get you a red dot from at3.

Sight it in at 50 yards and you will be good to go from point blank to 100 yards.

I use one on my 16 inch ar grendel and it is a dang fine sight for the money.

• Like 1

I know it all water over the dam since you have what you have, but hogs are a log tougher than deer.  Most of the hog hunters I know wouldn't think of using anything smaller than 30 cal.  The AR's in a 300 Blackout and AR-10's are popular around these parts for hogs.  A lot of the old farts (like me) still use their 30-30's and 35 lever actions.  Then you have those short barrel shooters with their 44mags etc, but your not going to see many of them packing a pea shooter.

Also, night hunting them is the preferred method here, so most of the guys use the illuminated reticle.

I will go out on a limb here and say that hogs have gotten to be such a nuisance animal, I wouldn't fault a guy for trying to use a pellet gun if that's all he had, as long as he feet weren't on the ground when he tried, they can get mean when you **ss them off. 

Hogs and yotes are two animals I will "try" a ridiculous shot on, just to see if I can hit it.  I have killed coyotes at over 600 yards across a very windy open area, just to see if I could hit it. (By the way, that's using fully custom built rifles like my 260, not a 223).  Trying shots I would never try on a game animal.  However I mostly target practice at 400 to 600 yards so they are not totally hail Mary shots. 

@Way2slow My buddy kills a good many hogs with his AR-15 in .223. And he has a lot of hunting rifles and shotguns, handguns even. He likes the quick follow up shot because he can dispatch more than one. He aims for right behind the ear. I know it's not optimal though.