Jump to content
dcchester

Spinning reel for river smallmouth

Recommended Posts

I’m going to be fishing for river smallies in Ontario and I’m just wondering what are some good spinning reels to pair up with a 6’8” medium, fast st croix mojo bass. I plan on using 10lb braid and throwing tubes, nedrigs, and small jerkbaits. I’m thinking a 2000 or 2500 size. I don’t want to spend more than $150 Cad.

 

Thanks,

Go Pack Go

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any reel in that price range is going to be a very good reel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scott F said:

Any reel in that price range is going to be a very good reel. 

What about a diawa fuego or a abu Garcia revo x?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with @Scott F, in your price range, lots of great options.

 

Personally, I like 1000 size Shimano Stradics, above your $ range, tho.

Daiwa is putting out some impressive reels these days like the BG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I use a Nasci 1000 with 10 lb. 832. I'm impressed. My rod is 7', though.    jj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always been a 2500 size reel guy. As far as price point I’d say look at the daiwa bg, fuego, or the shimano nasci. I personally own the nasci and it is a wicked reel for the money! 

 

Where abouts in ontario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest a Pflueger Supreme. You might check Tackle Warehouse fir prices and their shipping into Canada as I know several members I helped and they did in deed order rods and reels from there.  They are used to shipping into Canada.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a size 4000 Shimano spinning reel for smallmouth bass and I prefer having a reel of this over a size 2000-3000 since I also target muskie and other fish with these reels. For the rod I use a 6 foot or 7 foot rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

I’ve always been a 2500 size reel guy. As far as price point I’d say look at the daiwa bg, fuego, or the shimano nasci. I personally own the nasci and it is a wicked reel for the money! 

 

Where abouts in ontario?

Just around parry sound, the French river, and Sudbury 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dcchester said:

I’m going to be fishing for river smallies in Ontario and I’m just wondering what are some good spinning reels to pair up with a 6’8” medium, fast st croix mojo bass. I plan on using 10lb braid and throwing tubes, nedrigs, and small jerkbaits. I’m thinking a 2000 or 2500 size. I don’t want to spend more than $150 Cad.

 

Thanks,

Go Pack Go

 

 

Go with a shimano stradic 2500 from Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stradic FK off ebay or the Daiwa BG is one hell of a reel at the MSRP of $100 USD.

 

I have fished or owned just about every spinner under 300 bucks and I am still impressed with my BG 2500 every time I use it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input guys I think I’ll go with the 3000 size daiwa fuego because it is on sale here in Canada at cabelas for $89.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2018 at 6:39 PM, Darren. said:

Agree with @Scott F, in your price range, lots of great options.

 

Personally, I like 1000 size Shimano Stradics, above your $ range, tho.

Daiwa is putting out some impressive reels these days like the BG.

Shimano Stradics are great reels for bass fishing that is for sure. Worth every penny and more when you have a reel that can last you over 10 years with minimal maintenance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bigfruits said:

find a deal on a stradic ci4+, 2500

Yup, look around, they can be found used for a steal. I bought one that looks like it's never been used locally with fresh line on it for $150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother in Michigan is a smallie fan and uses a Mitchell spinning reel that has to be 20 years old.  He doesn't like change.☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×