Kyle S

Places to fish in and around Mechanicsville Virginia!?!?

Does anyone know of any good places to fish around Mechanicsville, Virginia? I'd love a great place to put my pond prowler in the water! Thanks!!!

Get the VD&IF's booklet, Freshwater Fishing in Virginia, and take a look at the places they list.

I can tell you that you can hit the Historic James River out of Osborne Landing; the Pamunkey River; the Mattaponi River; the Rappahannock River; and maybe a pond or two that you could fish.

You can speak with the people at Surfside and Hopkins in Mechanicsville, plus Green Top and Bass Pro Shops to find places to fish.

Good hunting.

• Like 1

Thanks @Sam! I'll have to go out and get that booklet tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, Kyle S said:

Thanks @Sam! I'll have to go out and get that booklet tomorrow. 

Kyle, your next challenge is to locate the ramps.

Walkerton on the Mattaponi

Hopyard Landing or Hicks Landing on the Rappahannock

Osborne Landing on the Historic James

Williams Landing on the Pamunkey

You may want to give yourself a Christmas present in the form of GMCO maps of each river. You can go to BPS and locate these maps in the electronics area and open a few to see what they offer. And you can try to find the ramps on Google maps and Google Earth, too.

If you buy the GMCO maps you can locate the landings and ramps plus have a map of the area. When I moved to Virginia many years ago I took a day and made a recon run to find each ramp. The maps will show you the highways and byways you will need to transgress to find them.

Your challenge is that you may be taking your kayak to these ramps in the dark. And getting lost is very easy.

So look up these ramps on Google and Google Earth and note the back roads that take you to them.

Walkerton, Hicks and Williams charge $10. Hopyard and Osborne are free.

And don't forget the Richmond Fishing Expo at the end of January. Check out this link and have a good time at the show where you can meet and talk to other bass fishing guys and gals about fishing in the Mechanicsville area.

http://www.richmondfishingexpo.com/

Doswell is up the road from Mechanicsville area about a mile from Kings Dominion.

Add into this formula meeting the people at Surfside and Hopkins and you will be ready to rock and roll in no time.

Let us know of your adventures and successes.

• Thanks 1

Wow!!! Thanks again @Sam! Very kind of you to offer such quality information. I've never been to the expo but will definitely be grabbing my ticket! I'll also be picking up some of those maps you mentioned. Very much appreciated!

4 hours ago, Kyle S said:

Wow!!! Thanks again @Sam! Very kind of you to offer such quality information. I've never been to the expo but will definitely be grabbing my ticket! I'll also be picking up some of those maps you mentioned. Very much appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

And look at the seminar schedule.

I try to make the show on Friday and see the G-Man seminar. He is a riot. And the other seminar speakers should be excellent, too.